Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Online Gaming Map Project

Guild Apprentice

Wow you hand painted that thtats really good skill you have!

Whats DEM ? Never heard of that before but the image you uploaded showing the contours of the land really looks great!

LOL, no I didn't hand paint all that. I used the Tile background and created layers over that. I used one of the images you had provided and traced over where the river was and so on. That's why it's very close to the original just dumbed down a bit. Hehe, if I could paint that in a hour by hand I think I'd be famous already.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Apprentice

Yeah but you have to be dead to be a famous painter Bit of a dead end job (pardon the pun) *chuckles*

LOL, yeah there is that, I forgot that bit about not being around to enjoy it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Blog Entries

A DEM is a digital elevation model. You get the space shuttle flying over the earth with a radar on board and it measures the height of the ground in sweeps so that there is a 3D terrain model you can extract from it. Since it provides the height for the map we can get the sea and coast outline and get some scripts to shade it all in any way you want. You can go as far as to create a climate model for it and use that to determine where the rain falls, where the rivers flow and what vegetation would grow there. Normally, making a fantasy DEM is quite hard but its fairly easy to get one of a real place from NASA data if you have a bit of programming skills or the data format matches a tool which understands whatever format you have. The DEMs are out there in a variety of formats so often you need to code a converter.

Jax, ill run my script a bit later on when I have some spare time and you can mess about with the resulting images if you want. I'm no artists - famous, dead or otherwise

Blog Entries

Hows this one looking ? I have gone for a simple look - barely any features. Is that what your after ? And added a border if you want to use it like in middle pic.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 09-16-2010 at 04:42 PM.

This is mostly sand - I look at the example of type you want and it's loaded with beautiful greens and white peaks, so, do you want the map on the left here made a bit prettier with that slightly cartoonish look? (Not sure the example is cartoonish but that's what I'll call it.)

Guild Apprentice

Umm if you want to Jaxilon as ive know idea otherwise cos cartoonish was what i was trying to avoid.. if you can show me what you mean that would help

@Redrobes that does look fantastic - although the water is a bit dark if you can make it a bit more tropical blue that be awesome

Blog Entries

No problem... No idea why the forum has some trouble with these attachments. One with, one without the border.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 09-16-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Looking great, just quick question is there a way to get the water to be less patterned? For example if you look at: http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...0&d=1233094574 it uses difference clouds i think to get the water body texture. Ignore the fact you can see the continental shelf's i don't require them.. but was wondering if you can get that kinda texture on the ocean ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast