Thread: Commission: 17th century Fantasy-continent

Default Commission: 17th century Fantasy-continent

Good day to all you fine chaps of the Cartographers' Guild,

John from fantasymapmaker.com suggested I approached this community with my small offer:

I am in the very early stages of writing a setting, set in a world heavily inspired by the Napoleonic Era - both for personal gaming use, and (hopefully) with an eye for a more commercial use later (write a book, ya know - and since everyone and their grandmother wants to be a published author in the fantasy-community, I might as well start properly, if I want to give it a go).

As such I would be highly interested in a map set in a typical 17th century look. I adore the antique maps of old (in that weathered brown look), sea-serpents and all and would be hoping for something along those lines... an example is John's Epic World - Cinematic Landscapes which was what prompted me to contact him in the first place.

I can procure a long list of names for places, provinces and even countries for you, should that speed along the process, and I would be very interested in regions on the map that make excellent excuses for border-disputes or even all out war between nations (I'm kinda into fantasy-politics, as I usually play a lot of Birthright-games). The actual layout of the land, presence and absence of mountain-chains, lakes, forests, towns etc. would be at the artists prerogative.

If this sounds interesting send me a mail at Temiascoumain AT gmail DOT com; if you have a set price in mind already, please include that (I am also willing to pay in terms of donations to this site in the name of the artist, if that is more to the artists liking). I am sure we can figure out something. Of course, as I intend to eventually use the map in a commercial connection, this also means that I would have to retain copyright for commercial use... with full credit going to the artist as often as possible, and whatever else I can do, that does not muddle with this in any way. (Not really strong on that entire subject - as you may have guessed by now.)

I am hoping to hear from you.
    Cheers,
    Thorsten
    Last edited by Thorsten; 08-03-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Added example

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The antique map can stir the imagination but if this is going to go into a book you might want just a plain black and white map.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I admit I hadn't thought along those lines.
    To be honest though, the maps in most books certainly don't do it for me, and as I am still very early in the process, what I need most - I believe - is something I can print out in all it's glory, frame, and hang above my computer. For inspiration.

Add to that, that gaming is the first goal on the journey, and that, despite my own assuredness to the contrary, I might never publish anything in the end, and I feel antique is still the best option for me. Of course, if the artist would like to do both, I am certain I could find the monetary needs to pay for it too.

Cheers,
    Thorsten

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

A clever enough artist can figure out how to do both maps in one file...just turn off some layers. I have one map with 4 different styles in the same file. If I wasn't booked up I'd take this but I'll have to let someone else grab it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I am happy to say that I have found an artist to undertake this project for me, and it is thus "Taken". (I tried editing first post to make this appear from the prefix, alas the mechanics escaped me.)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This has been marked as 'taken'.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.