I think after some careful deliberation, intense googling of "Ancient Sports" and some other amusing side-tracks during work hours...

I have decided that my "Field of Glory" will be based on the Viking version of Tug-o-War.

Let me lay the Scene.

Olaf's Redbeards and Hagar's Hornhelms have recently plundered (insert poor victim village). Olaf and Hagar can't quite agree on who gets the 100 part of a 100-0 split of the loot, women and smouldering wreckage. So, they set up a simple contest.

First, they get one of the burning village huts and convert it into a bonfire. They grab a number of hides and tie them together to make a large rope-like object. Olaf's Redbeards take a stand on the North side of the fire, Hagar's Hornhelms take a stand on the South. They then begin a game of tug-o-war with the bonfire in the middle. Winner gets Pile'o'Plunder and Harem of Rape Victims... Loser gets gently roasted (possibly with some nuts or herbs).

Simple enough kind of game really. Clear objectives, clear consequences for losing. Very "survival of the fittest".

I'm thinking that THIS will be my Field of Glory (and then later it will become a debauched sex-fest fuelled by conquest and alcohol followed by leaving in the morning before breakfast without giving her your residential address (if she's ugly) or by tossing her in the back of your vehicle (if she's good lookin))...

**Side Note: After that description, there really isn't much difference (other than getting roasted) to a Rugby game... Hmmm civilised man has just avoiding doing the raping and burning of opponents... Yep.