Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: July/August 2010 Lite Challenge Entry: Battle Room

Still adding basic features. Also still have no idea how I am going to make this look interesting or "mappy."

I know the "stars" were said to be brown, but I thought I'd make them thematic instead. I think I should also make them bugger, since they are supposed to be big enough to be cover... Also added the four "lights" on the corners of the gate that must be pressed in order to let someone through. Still adding the "handlebars" running along each wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battle room 2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	27759  

This is such a cool idea but I'm not sure how to pull it off either It totally reminds me of the book and I haven't read it for years. I almost want to see some people in there just to get an idea of size. How many could go through the door at once? You have the 3d space thing going on which is pretty sweet.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I dunno about modelling people in 3d. I am pretty rubbish at this, really, and that is probably beyond my capabilities. Anyway, unless I think of other stuff to add, this is the final layout. Now I just need some way to present it.

Name:	battle room 3.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	27832  

Hmm, I think I would attempt a 3/4 view of the whole thing looking toward the red door and see how that looks. Reason is because the blue door kind of blends in with the blue lines on the wall and the Red pops a little more. I like the image you posted looking directly at one of the doors but it makes you miss seeing the other side. Maybe you can put the camera in the corner such that you can see both doors, one close to you (almost looking at it sideways) and the other way over there? Look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I loved that book. Shame that the sequels were nowhere near as good (and got steadily worse). What a great idea for a map. I was thinking Tron when I first saw it. Can't wait to see it completed!

I wish this were running for another month--I really wanted to do a Pokemon stadium as well...

Welp, this is what I came up with. I know it's nothing fancy, but this was my first try at 3d stuff. I think this is as finished as it will get...

### Winner ###

Name:	battle room full.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	27948  
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-29-2018 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Added Winner tag

That's really well done, RE. It really helps to tell the story (particularly to those of us who have read the book). What I really like about it is the 70's tron-ish type design and colours as it takes me back to the same era when I read the book so the 'feel' is right for me.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff here ReckLess
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

If I could access the rep box you'd get some from me. I think the map looks great. When I read Ender's Game I used to imagine how awesome it would be to take part in the training at Battle School. Was that book really 1985? I thought it was much earlier...but maybe I'm thinking of the short story.
    M

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast