Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: July/August 2010 Lite Challenge Entry: Battle Room

Ravells - Thanks a lot my friend. Your praise always means a lot! I was actually born in 1985, so, yeah, I tried to think back to early sci-fi from when I was growing up (like Tron and Star Trek TNG). You are absolutely right about the sequels really degrading in quality the longer they went on, especially towards the end of the Ender-branch. I also remember being deeply disappointed when I found out that the author was such a monstrous bigot. But, yeah, Ender's Game did really grab my imagination as a child. I am going to have to try and find the trade paperbacks of the recent Marvel Comic retelling of the story, I think.

Steel General - I appreciate it! It is a real shame this topic didn't generate more interested than it did--I thought it was a pretty good idea. Same goes for the main challenge: shockingly little movement on it, outside of Ravell's nifty plot-hook-tavern. I might have to jump in last minute with an entry for that one too, if more people don't step up--I have been itching for a golden compass, especially after after coming in second last month.

Mearrin69 - I thought about the same thing when I was a kid. Like I mentioned, I was born in 1985, so it has been around in the periphery, influencing sci-fi my whole life. And don't worry, verbal rep is almost as nice as icon-clicking rep, though it doesn't provide any little green bars.

Hey, now you got more rep! LOL. Half the time I don't seem to be able to rep a post because the pop-up box appears behind the post below it. I have to try to catch a post without any below it. Anyway, nice map!

Agreed about challenges. Wish I had time to enter them myself. Some great topics recently but real-life and my gaming projects have been taking most of my time these days - and I don't have a great track record of finishing challenges even when not chronologically challenged.
    M

Mearrin, could you post a screenshot of the broken rep pop-up box please? What browser are you using? I've flagged this with RobA / Arcana and hopefully repairs will be on the way.

Mearrin69 - I feel 'ya, I really do. I have about 5 personal projects and two commissions going at the moment, not to mention my full time job, so I have no idea why (or how) I am spending time on mapping challenges! They are just so fun though... I think I start them without thinking, just because "hey, this would make a good entry" pops into my head. Then I just hate to leave things unfinished so I force myself to work on them (often by sacrificing sleep)... not a healthy habit, I'm sure. Too bad you don't have time to participate--your art is amazing, and I'm sure you'd snatch up several compasses to go with that featured map icon!

Bah, who needs sleep, it's overrated. I'll probably drop dead all of a sudden or something but I like that Wierd Al song "I'll be Mellow when I'm dead". Of course, I usually get to take a nap in the afternoon which is unusual but one of the perks in working for yourself. You are still young though I only now seem to have moments where I just HAVE to shut down. Course, I've been pretty hyper most of my life.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

ravells,
    Screenshot attached. Little hard to see, since most of the box is behind the post below. I'm using IE 8.0.7600...it sucks for sure. I just installed Firefox so I'll try it on that to see if it works.
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	35 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	28011  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I've never seen this with Firefox so maybe it's an IE thing.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I've never seen it with either browser.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123