Thread: City of Chanimur

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wip City of Chanimur

I figured I would try my hand at mapping a big-ass city. This is the capital of the Autarchy of Tearat, the necromancer-run nation in my world of Tropan.

Here's some preliminary work, showing rough sketching of where things'll be. Note the big cliff/ridgeline that runs along the coast, with the river boring through it to the sea. (It's man-made, centuries in the past, in case you were wondering).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chanimur1a.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	380.1 KB 
ID:	27552  

Meh. They let me out for good behavior years ago...

That looks like it's going to be fun.
    Reading between the lines, as it were, there's some interesting practical considerations you might want to accomodate ( or should be fun tryin?).
    a) That's one "big ass" bridge there! Given its proximity to the rock arch of the cliffs, might they they not have opted for a cutting into that? That said, the demand for a bridge is also likely to be upstream of the docks rather than there?
    b) If your technology is sailing ships, that tunnel is going to be a major wind tunnel, great for one direction but next to impossible the other. You can of course provide galley tugs to tow people, or perhaps some kind of tow path, or maybe something weird and technological??? A huge circular chain running through and backover the top... loads of slaves ?
    c) I'm curious about the light house? My assumption would be that it was there to stop river traffic hitting the prison island, but seems unnecessary as a city of this size will have so many lights at night that any navigator will be able to avoid such a hazard. Light houses at the sea end of the tunnel tho' - one each side, perhaps hewn out of the cliffs? Oh yeah.
    d) The Gardens. Are these for the Autrach's use only? If so, I imagine he'll want that wall down between his bedroom and the view? If it's for public access I'd expect those slums neighbouring it to have been "acquired" and turned into mansions. By association, the rich will want to live near the Autarch? I imagine it would add to their prestige?

I'm looking forward to seeing how big this ass is gonna get!!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Doing some major revisions to the layout - going back through my notes and random sketches, the layout isn't quite what I'd imagined. Originally, this city was meant to sit on top of a mesa, with the river running beside it. I think I'm going back to that layout...

Okay, I restarted this. Like I said, the layout was not working, so....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chanimur1b.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	526.9 KB 
ID:	27647  

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

The black outlines look a little bit pixelated in some areas, but I guess that is the early stage of the map. Otherwise good new start, Diamond.