10 27.03%
  • The Air Nexus Station at Sanz - by Sapiento

6 16.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** July10 Challenge Voting - A Convergence of Power ***

Blog Entries

Default *** July10 Challenge Voting - A Convergence of Power ***

July's challenge was to create a map that describes a locus, or focus of power. It could be an intersection of ley lines or a singular expression of the type of power represented--manmade or natural. Thus a locus for the power of the earth could be a great mountain, or a stone temple. Our members came through big time this month, creating some really great and imaginative entries. Every single entry is worthy of a first and second look.

To look at the entries in one convenient spot, you can check out the thumbnail gallery...

HERE

Please choose two entries. Our rules state that we allow one vote for each five entries, rounded down, but I'm feeling rebellious. Feel free to explain your vote or not, as you wish. Even at this stage, honest criticism is a blessing.

PLEASE GIVE REP TO THE ONES YOU VOTE FOR (along with anyone else you think is deserving).

Thanks all of you who provided excellent feedback to all of the entries. Your care and attention is appreciated.
    Last edited by Immolate; 08-01-2010 at 10:01 AM.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

great entries all around (save the ham lover, his crap was weak this month, yo).

If people are willing I would love to give detailed crits of what I see for each piece, but I don't want to offend anyone so I would like some buy-in from the participants before deconstructing their work. The deconstruction is intended to help and not hurt, but I understand that some people don't want that kind of feedback. I also am intending to wait on crits so that most people have an opportunity to vote without my biases getting in their way.

Great showing this month!
    Something witty and pithy

Blog Entries

I was quite impressed by all of the entries this month (except mine obviously), and I think you all deserve our thanks and appreciation for the hard work and for lending us a small bit of your inspired creativity. Rep for all as always, because I know just how hard you had to work to get it done.

I voted for the Solur Nexedifice because it is a tour de force of modeling and shows a fascinating appreciation for engineering and physics. I'm always enthralled by pieces that demonstrate an absolute love of detail and "realism".

I voted for The Menhir Dance of the Ui'Iliad because it's just so beautiful and pleasing to look at. I don't think GP has done anything better that I've seen, and he is one of the true masters in the guild, so that's saying something. Perfect creation GP, or as close as Allah (or is is Danu) will permit.
    ----------

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Wow. Every month it's hard to vote, but this one was REALLY hard.

I ended up voting for the Solur Nexedifice, because OMG the detail. It's gorgeous. My second vote went to Sapiento's Air Nexus; I love the surrounding city and those Aether ships rock.

Every single entry was awesome this month, about to go spread a bunch of rep love around. I wish I had 6 votes.

Crayons was the standout for me. Reckless got my vote too.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Reckless got my vote, hands down, because that entry is made of win and awesome.

And Sap also, because he's Sap, and just about every one of his maps is staggeringly good, this one especially.

It was a hard choice though; I wish I could've voted for three.

Blog Entries

When I created the poll, I checked the box that made votes public. When I looked at it, it showed everyone's votes automatically, instead of making you click the number to see who voted for whom. That wasn't right, so I went back in and changed it to private, thinking I could switch it back to public and figure out what I did wrong. Well, bad move because once you switch to private, you can never switch it back. I'm guessing the idea is that you shouldn't be able to lure someone into thinking they are making a private vote, only to turn the tables on them. So hooray for the forum software for protecting people's privacy, but boo for Immolate for messing up.
    ----------

mmmmpig - As far as I'm concerned you can critique mine. I know my best is yet to come so the more I can learn from each item I create the better. My entry had a number of things I attempted for the first time. I believe I scanned in at least 4 items separately and merged them digitally. Not everything worked out quite like I expected (the stretching for instance) but I learned from it and that's what it's all about at this stage. One of the biggest things I think I have to work on is having a solid visual of what I want from the final before I begin. Practice, practice, practice.

I chose RE's Volcano of fire because it is both functional and gorgeous.
    I chose Crayon's Solur plant next because it's impressive in it's engineering and detail.

GP - Very professional job and would be top of the line in any game supplement I have seen.
    Sep's also totally professional and I really liked the buildings a lot.
    GP & Sep have what seems to me more of an illustration style going on which is great but I enjoy something that looks a bit more realistic whenever possible. The Volcano by RE for instance. Textures, lack of hard lines, to me that goes beyond functional. Nothing against illustration and there are times when I like it more than a photograph but I'm just saying this so you can understand where I'm coming from. I love both of your works so I wouldn't say you need to change anything. What little background I have is from drawing animals and so on in as realistic a manner as I could.

EDIT: Wow Immolate, you are on such a roll No worries though, we all appreciate the extra work you do around here. It won't be the first time we had a private vote on a challenge. Most of us post why we voted the way we did anyway just so others know what we were thinking.

2nd Edit: somehow it ate my first one then posted a partial which really made things look odd
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 08-01-2010 at 04:07 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Some really good standard of work this month. I went for Crayons cos I thought that it was a nicely executed idea and showed a lot of good new ideas about how to make a map. I also liked Jax's tower due to its sheer imagination. All of them were amazingly well done tho. I liked GP's use of sketchup to outline the map and mmm's artistry and the fire pit looked very realistic as well. Then Saps image is worthy of publishing and fitted the spec well. I could have gone for any of them given a change in mood. Really well done to all.

EDIT -- oh BTW, the fix has gone in for the scraper so thumbs are back up correct again...

Thumbnails

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmpig View Post
    great entries all around (save the ham lover, his crap was weak this month, yo).

If people are willing I would love to give detailed crits of what I see for each piece, but I don't want to offend anyone so I would like some buy-in from the participants before deconstructing their work. The deconstruction is intended to help and not hurt, but I understand that some people don't want that kind of feedback. I also am intending to wait on crits so that most people have an opportunity to vote without my biases getting in their way.
    Great showing this month!
    "Ham lover"? I take it that is yourself "mmmmmpig"? I'm an "ahhhhsheep" kinda guy - and let's lay off the innuendoes eh?

Please feel free to let rip with any critique on my stuff, any time. I welcome any. I'm aware that 3D modelling may have mixed reactions due to the "realism" aspects as opposed to "hand drawn" look. I am working on that.
    I'll just say here at the outset that POVRay and 3D in general is OK for battlemaps and any sci-fi/contemporary game material but struggles with city and land maps and the like, most especially for fantasy type setttings and player handouts for such things.
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast