Thread: Hello Everyone.

Guild Applicant

Default Hello Everyone.

My name is Brian, Just ran across this fantastic forum and had to join up. I am a long time AD&D DM and have in past enjoyed drawing up maps by hand although have not attempted to get any real quality out of them till recently.
    For work currently i do architectural drafting with the Archicad program. Not the best work to be into at the moment with the housing market and all but there it is. I blame it on my computer work that i do not use any software to make my maps at all, after using a drafting program for work i find myself only doing maps by hand.
    I have seen some amazing maps around this place and wanted to join up to be able to share what i have done and learn from others as i really wish to improve hand drawn maps.
    I attached a few maps, The Markvial one is an older map from about 6 years back, played with color in that one and really ended up disliking the map. The dead map was a more recent one that never got finished because i ended up hating the more pure top down look. The new area map is one iv just begun yesterday and plan to detail out. Planning on doing a whole grid of maps for that world as i work and detail the new area make new maps that can be put next to one another. Going to take up a whole wall i fear. The random sketch was just playing with some perspective mountains and hills while watching south parks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dead Map.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	27626   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lands of Merkvial.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	27627   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Area.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	27628   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Random Sketch.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	27629  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Strong base of skills, you can go far if you choose to. If you get a tablet and Gimp then you can draw right into the program and not have to scan things. I'll let you peruse the forums before going too in depth about anything. Welcome.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Applicant

Looks like the color map did not go through so here is attempt number two. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures they where just taken quickly. Once i finish my current area map ill get a much better picture of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Merky.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	27634  

Guild Applicant

I have heard much about tablets and have really wanted to try one out. Iv never used one before and look forward to checking that out. Been wanting to do something to put CS 4 to the test rather then the minor use of it i do for my drafting, i am very much a beginner when it comes to using adobe.

I would love to hear what programs and hardware (IE types of tablets) are recommended as i am really looking to take my maps to the next level. The maps iv seen on this Forum are impressive and i would love to learn the tips and tricks behind them.

In my opinion, Wacom is the only way to go for tablets. The Bamboo Fun is a superb entry-level surface; I have yet to hear a complaint from anyone who spent the time to get used to it. It does take a bit of time, though, as it's not quite the same as using a pencil.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Tablets are discussed in depth all over The Guild, suffice it to say that the cheapest (Wacom Bamboo Fun) will serve you well for a long time to come. Since you have Photoshop check out the Tutorial section and give those a test drive...you don't need to know a thing all you need is to be able to read and follow directions
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hello Brian, welcome to the Guild! You got dome great mountain skillz. I like the range to the right in the random sketch. Post a thread in the WIP section when you start a new project.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11