Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello all

Default Hello all

Just gonna do a very short presentation about me self.

I'm a 31yr old female from sweden that been playing rollplaying for a short period. I love creating new things, i'm planing on leading a campaign for my friends and would love to draw my own maps.
    Been looking around a bit on diffrent softwares and atm i'm kinda liking CC3. So when the next salary comes i'm ordering a copy thats for sure. Haven't really decided what parts i'll orders, kinda want em all but don't have that much money to put on a software atm.

Can't really say that i know how to use mapping programs but i decided that i'll give it 110% so i will learn.

Recomendations on tutorials, tips and trix is more then welcome.

Blog Entries

Welcome Titania,

My advice would be to look at the finished maps and browse the thumbnails and look at the ones with the style you like the most - or ones which you think with a good effort you could take a shot at recreating and then seeing what software was used to make it. If that's coming up with the same software each time then head for that. Sometimes that might be a good old fashioned pen but there's lots of choices.

We have a tutorials section covering many of the apps. Try following some of them and when your comfortable with some then you can develop your own style or move away from a preset formula.

As always, post your work in progress (WIP) images for a map in a new thread and get some feedback and tips from the users here. The main ingredient to all mapping is that 110% or dedication - the rest is all just cranking the handle.

I been looking at diffrent softwares the last week just so i would be sure before buying =)

The thing i like with CC3 is all the other "small" applications like Dungeon designer, City designer etc which is prefect for rollplaying worlds. But there is still some weeks before the salary. I will keep looking before i order.
    And i will post WIP as soon as i get started because one way to get better is from feedback.

I so wanna get started to do my own maps, wish the days could go faster so i can order a software and get started.

Blog Entries

Well if you have some weeks to go then download Gimp and try that cos its free. Thats just a paint package instead of a mapping piece of software but many if not most of the maps on this site are made with Gimp. The top 5 members by rep are Ascension, Torstan, RobA, Ravs and GP using PS, Gimp, Gimp, PS, and Xara respectively. All paint packages. Theres good maps with CS as well of course but it will cost nothing to try out Gimp, Inkscape, Xara (on Linux), Sketchup, POVRay, Blender, Wilbur and similar free tools.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks for the welcome =)

I might have a stupied question, but i'll ask it anyway. Is there a way to see what software people have used when drawing there maps?

Welcome to the guild, or in swedish - Välkommen hit och hoppas att du hittar vad du är ute efter :-)
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Many of us list our software under our avatars but if you see a map that you like and it isn't listed then just ask and someone will know.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome to the Guild Titania! You should go checkout The Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast