Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saxe-Blünder Augsburg

Guild Apprentice

So it's been a long, long time, but I finally got around to doing enough work on this to allow myself to upload a new version.
    It's seen a lot of changes on account of my perfectionism and a nasty hard drive crash; I've sharpened it up a lot and improved the heightmap and colors. I have to say, the data limit on attachments really hampers the quality (I had to halve it just to upload), but I think I'll try to find a better host for the final version (one with zoom!)

I'm particularly interested in what people think about the banners. I'm not so sure about them; I can put a flag in that empty half.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saxeblunderaugsburg.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	4.53 MB 
ID:	32211  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You might want to consider DeviantArt, a bunch of us use it as an alternative to upload larger, higher-rez versions of our maps. Plus it's free
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

This is a great map! Well done. I like the banners, even if they block the view on more of the map. I hope to see more of this world. Care to share more detail on the world's history and such things?

Oh and I agree with Sapiento... ss is much more convenient than that funny looking double ss that looks lie a B-derivate
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Apprentice

@ Eilathen: The region is known as Waldenburg, and it's earlier history is a lot like the Holy Roman Empire. There was a bigger empire that is still pretty huge, but the areas at the southern tip of the continent have become a collection of duchies, margraviates, and kingdoms, dominated by Saxe-Blünder Augsburg and Paloni. Nearly all of the countries have been heavily effected by the massive civil war which tore apart the old empire. Saxe-Blünder is a lot more powerful, more populous, and more stable than most, but it is stable in a 'corrupt Latin American country' way. The bureaucracy (full of people from criminal families) runs the country in a way that maximizes their own profit, and for this reason the vast majority of the country is backwards and the only modern part is a small enclave in the center of the capital (the only part of the country where you can drive without a chance of popping a tire) where the bureaucrats, bureaucracy, and super-rich dwell.

Hi Javen,

Really nice map, you are to be congratulated. I'm trying to do something similar, and wondered how you made the mountain textures?

Thanks,

Jamie

Guild Apprentice

Jamie,
    I made the mountains from a heightmap in Photoshop and Wilbur, then I brought them back in and selected only the high points so that they'd show up.

Now this quite a lovely may, escpecially like the mountains. Repped.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Nice job Javen, I hope that one day my maps will look the same

Guild Apprentice

After several months of aggravatingly boring city naming, I think it's almost done. I consider this the penultimate draft, barring the potential addition of road or rail lines, but I'm content at the moment with the density of cities.

I apologize for the huge file size, but it was the only way of achieving lossless compression so that people could still read the tiny text on the city names.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23147859/Sax...20Augsburg.PNG
    Last edited by Javen; 04-01-2011 at 05:13 AM.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Looks very good. Did you use a name generator for the towns?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast