Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: TreeThing

Blog Entries

Hey there people,

A new image to show you. This is a test done to see how easy it is to integrate work done in HillThing with work done in TreeThing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HillThing_TreeThing_Test.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	781.7 KB 
ID:	63788

The mountains in HillThing automatically generate an obstruction template to use in TreeThing - this allows the tree template to be just drawn around the outside of the mountains and the program handles chopping off trees behind the mts etc.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Its start to look realy nice. Maybe some more organic Sample next time?

I'm not sure but i think your (wonderfull) app isn't working with windows 8. I downloaded it on a win 7 computer without problems but when i unzip the archive on a win 8 computer i only have a .jar file instead of an exe, and i can only unzip it if i change the extension file name, but with no usefull results.

Blog Entries

It's supposed to be a .jar file. As long as you have Java installed then it will run like an .exe. Maybe you need to update your java? I've never used Windows 8 so I don't know if Java comes built-in or whether it's a seperate download or what.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Hi ramah and thx for the quick reply. I didnt think at all to update java on my computer and that's now working perfectly so the problem was the user not the app

I just discovered this thread - wow this looks awesome (bothe TreeThings and HillThing) I will be playing with these in a little while. Thanks for sharing your time and talent.

Guild Novice

Hi, Ramah.

I`ve been using TreeThing for quite some time, and would like to make some additions to the source code. Namely, I`d like to add an option to have TreeThing change the poarsity of plotted elements according to the PNG mask's transparency, and I`d also like to add an option to the brush rescaling which would allow the app to be used for Mountains as well as trees more seamlessly.

Could I interest you in putting TreeThing in a GIThub, or in sharing the source code with the community?

Thanks,

D.

Quote Originally Posted by D1060 View Post
    Hi, Ramah.

I`ve been using TreeThing for quite some time, and would like to make some additions to the source code. Namely, I`d like to add an option to have TreeThing change the poarsity of plotted elements according to the PNG mask's transparency, and I`d also like to add an option to the brush rescaling which would allow the app to be used for Mountains as well as trees more seamlessly.

Could I interest you in putting TreeThing in a GIThub, or in sharing the source code with the community?

Thanks,

D.
    I'd like to second this. Ideally HillThing, TreeThing, etc. should all be shared. After all, we are supposed to be a "community" right? :-)

Caveat: I wrote a paper called "The Success of Openness" about open-source development when I was an instructor at the University of Michigan, and am an open-source advocate.

As someone who is artistically challenged, I'm very interested in trying this out (I wasn't aware of it before now.) Does anyone know if it'll run under Linux? I believe from the other comments that it only needs Java RTE so I assume it's OS-agnostic and therefore should work on my Ubuntu box. I'll try it later tonight if I get the chance, but wondered if anyone had firsthand knowledge.

To answer my own question, and for the benefit of other Ubuntu users, this works well on Ubuntu 14.04 with the default Java RTE from the repos. I'm quite excited by what it can do and can't wait to play around some more.

Only minor issue I had, and this might be me being blind/dumb, but when I try to save all layers (via the File | Save All Layers menu option), nothing happens. It acts like it's saving, and there's no error message, but no file is created. It's not that big of a deal because I can export each layer individually and combine them in Gimp, but I'm not sure if I'm doing something or if it's an Ubuntu issue. Either way, it's no biggie.

Thanks Ramah for creating this. You're the man!!

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast