Thread: River Keep Ruins - WiP

Default River Keep Ruins - WiP

I've been working on this ruined river keep for a few days now, and I've reached a point where I'm no longer sure how to continue. This is the first map I've tried to create and I've only been using Photoshop for about a week, so my skills are pretty limited. I perused quite a number of the guides in the tutorial section, but all of them were based around the idea of creating regional or city maps. I wasn't able to find any for making maps on the encounter scale.

Regardless, I applied a lot of the filter and effect techniques from the guides and was able to get this far. I want to replace the gaps in the walls with rocky rubble, and also line parts of the island with rocks (sort of like a breakwater). However, I'm stumped as to the approach for generating good looking rubble that will match the style of this map. Any ideas for me?

Of course, the rest of the map is also open to suggestions and criticism as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	River Keep WiP.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	3.28 MB 
ID:	27691  

Looks good. Looks an awful lot like the Moathouse from the Village of Homelet module from TSR way back in the 80's.

And if you never saw these, here are some COOL pictures of a 3d mockup of the Keep for the Assault on the Moathouase with Gary Gygax! http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/vi...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Looks good. Looks an awful lot like the Moathouse from the Village of Homelet module from TSR way back in the 80's.

And if you never saw these, here are some COOL pictures of a 3d mockup of the Keep for the Assault on the Moathouase with Gary Gygax! http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/vi...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
    Well, I've been working off of a paper sketch I made and ran an encounter on about three years ago. But after looking at that link, I'm pretty sure I'm a dirty thief who yoinked the map design three years ago and have since forgotten doing such a thing.

Also, the 80s was a really long time ago now. =\

No worries...With some of us old grognards (like ME), we have pretty much "Seen it all!"

And in the case of the Moathouse, it is a signature map from one THE premier modules from the early days of D&D!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Homlett!! dang that was a thousand years ago. THOSE were the days. Oh BTW nice looking map
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Has anyone ever seen a mockup of a 'restored' version of the moathouse? I'd love to see what this would have looked like when it was originally built. I searched for the pics - and the models are great but I was curious if there was an illustration somewhere...or map.

Thanks.

-GP