Thread: Looking to team up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Looking to team up

I'm looking to team up with a cartographer to design ships for Sci-fi rpg's.

I'm great at designing ships, in both descriptions and lay outs, but I'm not so hot when it comes to making the deck plans. I'm looking for some one that enjoys the Sci-fi genre and enjoys making deck plans for ships.

I will provide the descriptions, this includes how many of what, and how big it should be, ext. I'm not picky about what program you use, CC3, Dungenie, Fractal mapper, ext, as long as they look nice.
    Last edited by RPMiller; 11-12-2007 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Fixed title

Hi Lord Morty!

We have some excellent deck-plan designers here (see the ships for serenity post in the sci-fi section by Pablo Diablo). I've done one for a traveller advenure (nowhere near as good as Pablo's). Would you mind if I asked you a few questions, it might make it easier for people (including me) to decide whether to team up with you on your project:

1. What do you intend to do with the final product? Post it on a website? Send it to a publisher? If posted on a website, is there any existing stuff we can look at on the website?

2. I assume that this is not going to be paid work, but it's always nice to know . If it is going to be paid, then your take up might be a lot higher. You obviously don't need to discuss specifics of how much on this thread.

3. Can you provide us with an example of your descriptions? Are you following a particular ship gen system? E.g. Fire, Fusion & Steel; Gurps; star wars rpg, etc. If so, what is it? Is there any deckplan artwork you have seen which you like or which is commonly published with the system you are using to generate your ship data (assuming it is a commercial system you are using)? If so, might be worth posting some examples.

4. Could you tell us a bit more about why you want to do the project and what you hope to achieve with it? If there are mappers here with the same ambitions, then that will help to find a suitable match.

All the best

Ravs

Campaign Cartographer has a program add-on called Cosmographer:

http://www.profantasy.com/products/cos.asp
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    1. What do you intend to do with the final product? Post it on a website? Send it to a publisher? If posted on a website, is there any existing stuff we can look at on the website?
    My apologies for my not thinking of these details ahead of time.

I do intend to Sell the Ship designs online. They will sell for between $3 and $8, depending on the size of the completed product. the ship I've included would sell for about $3.

2. I assume that this is not going to be paid work, but it's always nice to know . If it is going to be paid, then your take up might be a lot higher. You obviously don't need to discuss specifics of how much on this thread.
    Sorry, but you assume wrong. It will be paid. To whom ever I teem up with we can hash that over email.

3. Can you provide us with an example of your descriptions? Are you following a particular ship gen system? E.g. Fire, Fusion & Steel; Gurps; star wars rpg, etc. If so, what is it? Is there any deckplan artwork you have seen which you like or which is commonly published with the system you are using to generate your ship data (assuming it is a commercial system you are using)? If so, might be worth posting some examples.
    I've included a complete version of a ship I have made, it will be a sample ship that anyone can down load for the sales site as a freebie.

I'm using the rules for the d20 Future SRD with a few added components of my own. I also plan to have versions for t20 Traveller. I may have to look into Fire Fusion and Steel, I've never heard of it before. If its an OGL system with an SRD than I may also provide versions with those stats as well.

4. Could you tell us a bit more about why you want to do the project and what you hope to achieve with it? If there are mappers here with the same ambitions, then that will help to find a suitable match.
    For the love of the game. I love Sci-Fi RPG's. I play in a weekly traveller game that used the T20 rules. thats what started this hole thing for me. I made a ship for a friend that posted it the some traveller deck plan yahoo group and then I got flooded with people asking if I had others and how much I would charge for them.

The only complaint I've gotten is that my deck plans - while accurate to the rules - are rather bland. So thats why I'm here. I know there's some one that can make them really pop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frontier Courier.pdf  

Ah thanks!

Fire, Fusion and Steel is one of the older Traveller ship generating rules. I'm sure a google will turn up info.

A while back, I ran a deckplan competition on the Traveller D20 boards - you may want to look at the people who responded to that competition (thread here).

Scroll down until you see the entries by AT Pollard (Aruthur Pollard) - they are (a) amazingly clear and detailed (b) easily printable in black and white. I attach a copy of one below. He, like Pablo Diablo on these boards, are professionals at layout (I think Arthur is an architect). Arthur does this stuff strictly for fun so it is worth dropping him a line, but he may not want the commitment - I don't know.

Another person (again on the Traveller boards) who might be interested and who produces beautiful deckplans is Mikazoid. If you go to the T20 website and look up her threads you will see her deckplans). Again you can contact her directly to see if she is interested.

Another worth considering (again on the T20 boards) is Scarecrow, he's a professional graphic artist but he seems to be incredibly busy, although if it's paid work he may well find the time.

I mention these names (Pablo Diabolo, Mikazoid, Arthur Pollard and Scarecrow) because I think they have produced the most beautiful deckplan designs I've come across which have 'professional draughtsman' written all over them. I'm sure there are others, but I forget who they are.

If you are really desperate and they all turn you down, I'll be happy to have a bash, but I suggest you try them first as the stuff they produce is top drawer. Your ship writeups are very smart, and you really deserve the best of illustrations to go with them.

Ravs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deckplan.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	1453  

Default Why thank you.

That ship is one I just threw together, over, and over, and over again until nit picking nature was satisfied. You have no idea of how many company logos, covers, layouts, rewrites of descriptions, ad nauseum, I went though before I was happy with it.

It makes me feel it was all worth it to here you say that about it.

BUT I STILL HATE THE MAP I MADE!!! ;D