Thread: Vorcalis - WIP

Wip Vorcalis - WIP

So my first attempt at a map was a giant flow. It looked like one giant mountain, and the colors were not very good. I've now started on Vorcalis, a region that is with in the world I'm writing, and have written about in the past. I don't have any names yet, as I've never explored Vorcalis in any of the stories I have written about the world it exists in.

So this one is much easier to edit, than my last one and I'm open to opinions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	419.0 KB 
ID:	27606  
    Una Salus Victius.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Good use of Ascension's tut there, looking good so far. You have a couple of what I think are river violations though; it's a little hard to tell which lines are budding rivers and which are borders at the moment, but if I'm seeing it right, you have one spot where a river goes ocean to ocean, a lake that drains twice, and a couple of rivers that seem to go out of their way (i.e. up into hills instead of taking the low route to the ocean). You may want to check out the sticky on How to Get Your Rivers in the Right Place before you finalize them.

And as this is your second map, you really ought to have a green rep pip. Consider thyself bonked

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Something not in the tut, but I later discovered, is that you may want to duplicate the mountain layer - it beefs them up a bit and they look better. Plus, you can add all sorts of other layer styles to a new layer. If you're going to add a lot of labels then you may want the image to be bigger but since you said that you don't really have all that many it may be okay.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Here is my current version.

I fixed the oceans shelf, as parts of connected islands to each other and to the main land mass.
    I re-did the rivers, however I'm not certain if even now they are right.
    I made the borders more noticeable.
    Added some country names (no more depth other than this, naming wise).

Name:	Current-WIP.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	684.2 KB 
ID:	27707  
    Una Salus Victius.

Blog Entries

Your map is looking pretty good, but I liked your continental shelf better in the first version posted. There seems to have been some kind of shift and it doesn't line up under some of the lakes or the southern coasts any more. @Ascension, I had that epiphany the other day. It occurred to me that I should have done a feathered lasso and added more mountain layers to beef up the ones I was having trouble with in your style. For me the desert shaded areas were particularly troublesome in washing out the mountains. And Gidde is right you should have some more rep.

Wip

Some minor adjustments.

Tried to fix up the shelf. It looks a bit better/more like the first wip.

I'm not sure what else to fix or adjust.

Name:	Current-WIP.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	683.1 KB 
ID:	27732  
    Una Salus Victius.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You've got some river violations: west Torveck and north Ilirad both have rivers that go from one sea to another and that doesn't happen, not sure where the one in Jassur is going, and south Tribeland has a split river or a super huge delta.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps