Thread: Some CC3 Questions, of a Simple Nature.

Question Some CC3 Questions, of a Simple Nature.

So, I'm working on a map. My first more-or-less serious attempt with CC3, as it happens. And I'm stuck on a few things.

First, the large scale version: Here.

...and a zoom in upon one section: Here.

Questions that I have are as follows....

How do I make the road visible *above* the forest? I've tried moving it forward, without luck. Do I need to change the layer? And if so, to what?

I've tried adding deep water to the middle of the lakes...again, without success -- they keep vashing behind the lake. I've tried various different layers, without any success at all.

Finally, and likely simplest of all: Is there any way to change the text color on the Scale Bar? The default is black, I keep trying to make it white, and it stubbornly sticks to black.

And actually, one more question...do the CC2 symbol sets work with CC3? Do you need to leap through any hoops to add them?

Post Well I know about the lake

The deeper water / darker blue is a lower layer than shallow water. Since your lake is currently comprised of shallow water, if you place deep water on top it gets moved to the "deeper water" layer, which is under the shallow water.

When I create a lake with a river attached to the coast, I use the coast line tool to create the river and the lake - which makes the river and the lake in deep water blue. I then create the shallow water outline and place it along the coast, down the river to the lake - whch can now show shallow and deep water.

I know that's a tough work-around, but that's what I was forced to do to accomplish a lake with shallow and deep water showing.

Someone more adept at CC3 might be able to give you a better answer. Sorry not much help!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Images at ImageShack often cause problems for people trying to view. Could you post the images as attachments instead?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    The deeper water / darker blue is a lower layer than shallow water. Since your lake is currently comprised of shallow water, if you place deep water on top it gets moved to the "deeper water" layer, which is under the shallow water.

When I create a lake with a river attached to the coast, I use the coast line tool to create the river and the lake - which makes the river and the lake in deep water blue. I then create the shallow water outline and place it along the coast, down the river to the lake - whch can now show shallow and deep water.

I know that's a tough work-around, but that's what I was forced to do to accomplish a lake with shallow and deep water showing.
    Ouch. Well, something to keep in mind for the next time around, then.

And I'm not used to forums that *encourage* attachments! Here they be, then:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FaeSmall.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	1511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FaeBig.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	290.6 KB 
ID:	1512  

Quote Originally Posted by Rolzup View Post
    How do I make the road visible *above* the forest? I've tried moving it forward, without luck. Do I need to change the layer? And if so, to what?
    I think this is the result of the default sheet order, not layers. Assuming that the roads are drawn on the ROADS sheet, you need to move the ROADS sheet down below the SYMBOLS sheet so it is drawn by CC3 after (and therefore on top of) the SYMBOLS sheet. To do that, click on the Sheets indicator, select the ROADS sheet so that it is highlighed, then click the Move Down button so that ROADS goes below SYMBOLS on the sheet list. The roads should sit on top of the forest now.

I've tried adding deep water to the middle of the lakes...again, without success -- they keep vashing behind the lake. I've tried various different layers, without any success at all.
    Again, I think you have a sheet issue. If you are using the sea contour drawing tools to make a lake with different shades for depth, they will go on the CONTOURS (SEA) sheet and thus be hidden beneath the LAND FEATURES sheet with your land mass. If you draw the initial lake with the lake drawing tool, it will go on the RIVERS sheet, and anything drawn on LAND FEATURES or CONTOURS (SEA) will be hidden beneath that. The best thing you can do is be aware of which sheet the drawing tool is drawing to (by looking at the sheet indicator after you click the tool to use it), hide sheets that are in the way of you seeing what you drew afterwards, and then using the Move to Sheet command to transfer stuff drawn on one sheet to the sheet you need so you can see it. You can access Move to Sheet here: Tools menu -> Sheets -> Move to Sheet. I really can't be more specific without knowing which drawing tools (and the sheets they draw to) you are using.

Finally, and likely simplest of all: Is there any way to change the text color on the Scale Bar? The default is black, I keep trying to make it white, and it stubbornly sticks to black.
    Hmmm, not sure about that but I'll take a look when I get a chance.

And actually, one more question...do the CC2 symbol sets work with CC3? Do you need to leap through any hoops to add them?
    Here's the instructions for converting a CC2 symbol catalog to a CC3 one:

1) Open up the catalog in CC3 (File Menu >> Open & find the new catalog)

2) Start Symbol Manager

3) Hit the shift key & while still depressing it click the first symbol in the catalog, scroll down & click the last symbol - this selects all
    of the symbols in the catalog so now you can stop depressing the Shift key

4) Click the Options button - check the box that says "Force Symbols" then type in a sheet to force the symbols to - the default is SYMBOLS*
    Be sure to type in the asterisk * after SYMBOLS. It is a wildcard in case a template happens to have more than one sheet for symbols (eg. SYMBOLS RED, SYMBOLS BLUE).

5) Click OK, click OK again & then save the catalog.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Well it appears that jaerdaph has beaten me to the punch... Since he said the same thing I did. Follow his instructions. Thanks Jaerdaph!
    Last edited by RPMiller; 11-12-2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: To slow...
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Well it appears that jaerdaph has beaten me to the punch... Since he said the same thing I did. Follow his instructions. Thanks Jaerdaph!
    Hey, don't be afraid to post your instructions too. I know I often find it helpful to have something explained to me by more than one person and in different words.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Too late. Already edited the post. I'll leave it next time though.

Yep, Jaerdaph, has indeed settled the issues.

As to scale bars, not sure, as I tend to always make my own.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave