Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Totally off topic - trying my hand at food illustration

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default Totally off topic - trying my hand at food illustration

My wife loves to cook. When we have friends over they ask her how to make the food. This finally got to the point where she decided she should put together a website with the recipes on it and I volunteered to do the illustrations. So I've been learning how to illustrate food (I did say it had been a busy month!). Here's a few of the images that are up now:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garlic2.jpg 
Views:	1762 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	27727 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CherryTomatoes.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	27728 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YellowOnion.jpg 
Views:	1078 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	27729 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EnPapilotte2.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	27730 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Asparagus.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	27731

It's fun - and totally different from mapmaking. If you're interested in cooking (or more of the food art) then check out the site here:
    http://www.ifyoucanmakethatyoucanmakethis.com/
    Last edited by torstan; 08-04-2010 at 06:51 PM.

Nice job, if I could make a suggestion, and you can try it then decide against it.. but going outside the lines so much is distracting (tomatoes are the worst offenders)... if you want try erasing the overflow, or most of it, then see how it looks.
    Other than that your watercolor look is very pleasing.

I don't really mind the out of line stuff, hehe nice pun intended. I especially like the yellow onion - great work. The garlic looks like it could use a small knife in the image somehow.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yep, i's amazing how close you can get to a watercolour look with just the wet edges turned on in PS and a nice splattery brush. The tomatoes are indeed the worst, and I'm pulling back from that on the new illos.

As for the garlic - yes I tried it with a knife, but I couldn't really get it to work. Might have another shot at it in a bit.

Thanks for the compliments and the critiques - really appreciated. Now I want to get my hands on the wet media tools in CS5... but still can't quite justify the upgrade cost.

That's fantastic Torstan. Until I scrolled down, I couldn't believe you'd done these in photoshop. They look just like watercolours. I really like the 'high key' in the tones you've used. The style is very similar to many I've seen in recipe books. Fab!

Thanks

I had meant to note that these were very much inspired i style by Emma Dibben - the illustrator who used to illustrate Waitrose Food Magazine:
    http://www.emmadibben.com/

Her stuff is extremely lovely - I definitely recommend having a wander through her site.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

mmmmmmmmm.... Food!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

My wife the painter says, "Oooh! That is nice!"

I feel I must concur.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thanks

Here's the image from today's recipe:

Name:	RedSnapperWeb.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	27806

and a handful of raspberries for fun:

Name:	RaspberriesSmall.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	27807

I was taking some advice and tightening up the lines and colouring on the fish fillet. The raspberries of course are totally in the other direction - much looser and more splattered. I'm not too sure which way I prefer. Anyway, it's a fun change from all the recent maps. I'm illustrating a forest adventure and I swear my hand will fall off from drawing trees...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast