Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zornas

Wip Zornas

Another map for a novel, intended to be in the same style as this one.

Just getting started.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I really like your sketchy forests, looks very carefree and easy.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I like the forests too.

My only real critique is on the mountains. They really seem to overpower the map, forcing the mind to see it in a different perspective than top-down. More of an isometric view. The hills seem to fit the style though.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I'll be adding hills to the NE, and the main city and surrounding outposts will be in the northern prairie. I'm hoping that will balance the mountains.

I felt they were a bit heavy and made a version with cross hatching, but the requestor prefers the solid mountain shading.

-Rob A>

Perhaps changing the angle of the forest? I'm not exactly sure how that would work out, though. I'm thinking you could make the angle look different by lengthening the trunks on the visible parts of the forest. I don't even know how one would execute that properly or if it would even work! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I felt they were a bit heavy and made a version with cross hatching, but the requestor prefers the solid mountain shading.
    Umm.. the version I see has cross hatching on it??? Personally, it much prefer the solid as from the linked map versus the fine cross hatch(which seems WAAY to "prefect" when compared to the randomness of the trees).

Also, is there a reason the lakes inks are so heavily defined? They look very out of place to me compared to the river inks.

Anyway... very nice start!!!
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 03-18-2010 at 08:29 AM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    I like the forests too.

My only real critique is on the mountains. They really seem to overpower the map, forcing the mind to see it in a different perspective than top-down. More of an isometric view. The hills seem to fit the style though.
    I've added hills in the NE. Also, just south of the hills will be a number of cities/villages that will use isometric icons that I hope will help. (When I look at the map it look like it curves "up" as you go north. The darkened tree trunks might also help.

Quote Originally Posted by vernontwinkie View Post
    Perhaps changing the angle of the forest? I'm not exactly sure how that would work out, though. I'm thinking you could make the angle look different by lengthening the trunks on the visible parts of the forest. I don't even know how one would execute that properly or if it would even work! Lol.

I darkened the trunks on the W side, and lengthened them everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Umm.. the version I see has cross hatching on it??? Personally, it much prefer the solid as from the linked map versus the fine cross hatch(which seems WAAY to "prefect" when compared to the randomness of the trees).

Also, is there a reason the lakes inks are so heavily defined? They look very out of place to me compared to the river inks.

Anyway... very nice start!!!
    They were placeholders. The lakes are now as I want them.
    Attachment 23215

-Rob A>

hmmm.. the lakes dont really seem any different...perhaps it's just me...

Edit: NM... I see the changes in the lake.... not really liking the super wide stroke on the lakes, but still a very good map! Do you plan to do a color version or just the BW for print?
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 03-25-2010 at 03:43 PM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    ... not really liking the super wide stroke on the lakes, but still a very good map! Do you plan to do a color version or just the BW for print?
    I's not planning to do colour.

Here is the latest, with city icons coming in... I may lighten the lake stroke a bit, but wanted to balance the heave mountains a bit. Having the darker forest fill helps, I feel. And thank-you, btw.

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast