Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map symbols

Guild Apprentice

Default Map symbols

Hey,

What is commonly used for maps to represent a Major City/Minor City/Small Villages and a Capital city for fantasy maps...

And does any one know where i can find non copyright of these images that i can use for my maps.

Blog Entries

First place is in the resources section of this guild where people post images or links to them. Personally I use circles and squares and label the name and then have a whole map for the place but some like to have mini pictorial views of the city to use. Have a look at Djekspeks work who does it by hand / wacom pen. Theres a few people who make icons and stuff to use. Check the usage rights. Most of it is CC licensed in some way - others is just use as you see fit and some more is non commercial but otherwise don't care. Ultimately tho I suspect that at some point you will have to get the ole pen out or try google sketchup which I am reliably told is very easy to use.

Hi Cu11. To see what symbols are commonly used, perhaps the easiest way is to just go through the finished maps section and see what symbols people have commonly used there. If you choose to use simple symbols like squares and circles, you can just draw them. If you want to go for something more pictorial then I can't add anything more to what Redrobes has said.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Symbol & Wingding fonts are also great sources for city/town markers.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

I quite like the cricle with the star inside it for a major city - is that on the resources page? If so what is the name given to these symbols so i can search appropriately.

Here you go, cu11. But if you can't make a star in a circle on your own, then I think you are going to have problems making a map which requires more knowledge / application in getting things done. No problem though...if you're really new to software.....my advice is:

play with it......just click every button see what it does and learn.
    go through lots of tutorials and learn that way.

If you don't have the time or patience to do either of these things, then I fear you're not really cut out for mapmaking

Making maps requires some learning and effort and time, but most of all the enthusiasm to learn.

best

Ravs
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Guild Apprentice

I know how to make them was just hoping there was a brushes pack for photoshop thats all - saves me time then xD Thanks for the image!

I make everything from scratch as I need them, and never use 3pp brushes, symbols, etc. Often no two map city locations look the same in my maps, I am always experimenting. YMMV.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I generally use the Wingdings, also. Also, Photoshop and Illustrator shapes sometimes see some use. If I need a particular special symbol, like the alchemical symbols for the mines on my Tawaren map or the various icons on my Wheel of Time map, I make those by myself. If I decide I want to use isometric icons, I'll probably dig into the symbol libraries that came with CC3 or make them myself.

The only real rule in using symbols (other than to make sure they're free of copyright encumbrances) is to be consistent and either include a legend or make it very obvious what each symbol means.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

If you are looking for symbols, search for dingbats at free font sites. You'll find everything there, like trees, mountains, ships, monster shapes and compass roses.

for example: http://www.dafont.com/seeing-stars.font

Quabbe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast