Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Default What program? How hard?

So this is an awesome guide! Ive been working with gimp now with some success but now im wondering what program(s) would be used to make a map of this quality....

http://bfme2.heavengames.com/albums/...ivingMap_1.jpg

and how difficult one would think it would be. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm getting a "Forbidden" message when I click on that link so I can't see it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Gothmog View Post
    So this is an awesome guide! Ive been working with gimp now with some success but now im wondering what program(s) would be used to make a map of this quality....

http://bfme2.heavengames.com/albums/...ivingMap_1.jpg

and how difficult one would think it would be. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks.
    Link gives me a "forbidden"

-Rob A>

http://images.google.com/images?rlz=...N&hl=en&tab=wi

thats my google search, i googles Ea living map and went to images, it should be the first image but if its not its the rendered map of middle earth, 1598 × 1278 from bfme2.heavengames.com

For what ever reason i cant upload it from the site or after saving it to my comp....

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Oh yeah, I had pondered trying to do that but forgot. You could use Gimp for that...you just need to be patient and practice a lot and experiment a lot until you get the techniques and style down pat.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That map is wrong, by the way. It shows Nurn, the breadbasket of Mordor, as being a burnt wasteland like Gorgoroth. It wasn't as fertile as the better places in Middle-Earth, but it fed armies, so it would be greenish. Or maybe golden if they were growing wheat.

I'm following the tutorial closely and I'm just not getting the desired effects.
    I'm stuck at the beginning of the "Let there be land section". The grass isn't showing through.

I know something's going wrong at "Post 4 - I have an idea Part 2". When creating the Land Mask I'm told to:
    "Now Invert the selection (Select->Invert), create a new black layer called “Land Mask” and fill the selection with white. "
    This doesn't make much sense to me (probably because I don't know what I'm doing). When I invert and fill with black the wrong portion gets filled so I just ignore the invert part. Looks like the picture so I moved on.

The next issue occurs at making the Seashore layer. I add the blur & the displacements to the seashore mask but it looks nothing like the picture in post 7-5. In fact, I don't think it really changed at all.

I've restarted 3 times now, and before I break something, I'm going to take a few minutes off.
    Are there any updates to this guide? Errata, maybe?

Post up a sample of where you are here or in a new WIP thread.

The could be a few issues. Some of the effects are map size dependent and don't work will if your map is big (like 3000x3000).

-Rob A>

I just subscribed to this. Looks like I just found the FOURTH tutorial on this site to use in my latest map! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Now using the Magic Wand Tool, (making sure Sample Merged is Checked and the Threshold is 0) click anywhere in the dark area. This will define your coast. (!!!) If you want to adjust it, just undo the selection (ctrl-Z) and change the levels of the “Land Clip” layer. I wand back and tightened the coast a bit.
    I'm stuck here (I got it up untill the "(!!!)").

My coast doesn't become "defined". It just stays blurry. Sample merge was checked and the threshold was zero, yet nothing happened when I clicked. =/

Infact, when I followed the steps after that when my coastline was suposed to be more varied than before, it actually ended up being less varied - smooth, actually! I even lost half my islands.

I continued anyway, but when I came to the sea part the layer-mask-thing didn't work. Nothing became transparrent.

To make things worse, I just realised that my "brushed, gradients, etc." widdow doesn't display pallets. I also couldn't fins any options to display them. -_-

I followed the instructions exactly as intructed, but I gave up at the sea part as nothing seamed to work... =(

Please help.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the "pallets" tab, so that problem's sorted.

I think I found the probelm. I think it may just be a case of misunderstanding. You see, my GIMP (2.6.7) doesn't have a "lighten" blend option for layers. The only options remotely simmilar are "hard light", "soft light" and "lighten only". The hard and soft light options gave an effect simmilar to what I wanted, but too random, having created or removed land regardless of the blur (I got islands and seas in the middle of nowhere, nowhere near the blured areas). The remaining option, "lighten only", had no effect whatsoever, shining through directly onto the origional map, blurs still showing.

This may be because of the blend mode applied to the "land noise" layer. You see, "overlay" made it invisible. Only when I changed the blend option to everything from "grain extract" to "multiply" did I get results simmilar to the ones above.

So, the main problem boils down to the layer blend options... =(
    Last edited by Rhotherian; 05-23-2010 at 06:55 AM.

Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast