Page 52 of 66 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

First time running through this tutorial and I'm having a problem in the early stages, at the Land Clip part. I've followed the tutorial to this point but when I try to drag the slider to the left, my map basically remains white no-matter what the setting. Help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dump1.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	28584

Sheelon666-

From the screengrab I see a couple issue. Your Land layer is white on transparent. It should be white on black. When adjusting the Levels, you need to have the Land Clip layer active (by clicking on it in the layer window), not the Land layer.

-Rob A>

Sorry, I dont wish to be led through the tutorial step by step, but that's what I ended up with by following it along step by step. Perhaps its my inexperience working with Gimp but I dont even see where to make it white on black - I selected Transparent layer as instructed.

Edit: going to have another pop from fresh map
    Edit 2: also, I think I had the Land Clip layer selected properly, it's just that in this screen grab there's been a bit more manipulation to try and get it working.
    Last edited by Sheelon666; 08-31-2010 at 10:24 AM.

OK I restarted and instead of making Land Transparent, made it White instead, and that seems to have worked for next few steps. More tomorrow!
    ~ Novice mapbuilder, under instruction ~

Guild Applicant

Question

I am working my way through the tutorial, which is marvelous, and this is my first time using Gimp, but I am running into an issue with the step to color the sea. When I hit Color->Map->Gradient Map the land turns blue and the sea stays shades of gray.

Thanks for the tutorial and the help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sea Color.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	266.8 KB 
ID:	29077

I'm having trouble with getting the Map Bump to work. I've done it all EXACTLY like the tutorial says but still no texture shows up for the land.
    Last edited by Dndungeoneer; 09-21-2010 at 05:13 PM.

I've now gotten to the mountains section. I tried using the "easier mountains" link, but it confused me. I decided to try the one posted in this tutorial, but I can only get up to the noise layer. The instructions for the mask and everything after that is pretty unclear. I could use some help/clarification as I'd really love to finish this map!

Quote Originally Posted by Dndungeoneer View Post
    I've now gotten to the mountains section. I tried using the "easier mountains" link, but it confused me. I decided to try the one posted in this tutorial, but I can only get up to the noise layer. The instructions for the mask and everything after that is pretty unclear. I could use some help/clarification as I'd really love to finish this map!
    I'd suggest you start a wip thread and post in there asking for help. Add a few images to show where you are and what the problem is.

-Rob A>

I am trying to apply this tuto, and I meet some problems too. My dust is awful and I just can't do the mountains (the tuto begins to be less precize on each step, and I am lost in the too evasive directives)

Is there a tuto which is as precize as the beggining of this one, but for mountains?

And a question: I don't understand why there is a third layer on the three layer method (or whatever is name)... It doesn't change anything on my map...

This'll seem a stupid question (I'm at the "Grass Bumps" part): how do I fill the layer with 50% grey?

Page 52 of 66 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast