Page 57 of 66 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

I'm just getting started, and I'm having issues. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GimpCGexample.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	43070

I've gotten to the part where I should reduce the white in my "Land Clip" layer, however when do i see no detail from the Land Noise layer. land Noise is set to overlay and the clip is set to lighten only.

Any ideas where I've gone wrong?

It seems to me that overlay on black and white isn't going to show up. If you set it to multiply you would see the impact however I'm not as familiar with the tutorial so I'm not sure if you are actually supposed to see it at this step or if it pops out a step or two later.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Ok after playing around with this tut I figured it out (kinda) I just needed to keep going and the detail I was seeing in the tut and not in my image was due to blur effects.

However I still don't think I understand what they noise clouds do when all we do is hide them, what does this add to the image?
    Last edited by venport; 03-16-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Go back and re-read the TLS (three-layer-sandwich) steps. This is just a way to add constrained detail to the coastline.

There are other ways to do this... search the forums for a variety of methods if you don;t like the TLS method.

-Rob A>

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

RobA, this is a fantastic tutorial. I have been using it to map out my game world map. As many times as I have gone through it though I seem to always hit a snag when I get to the mountains. Here is a screenshot of what I have at this point. Hopefully someone will see what noob mistake I am making so I can complete this map.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Screenshot.png 
Views:	284 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	43239 Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by avalier View Post
    RobA, this is a fantastic tutorial. I have been using it to map out my game world map. As many times as I have gone through it though I seem to always hit a snag when I get to the mountains. Here is a screenshot of what I have at this point. Hopefully someone will see what noob mistake I am making so I can complete this map.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Screenshot.png 
Views:	284 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	43239 Thanks everyone for your assistance.
    Sorry - there are just too many layers to "debug" via a screen shot. I'd suggest creating a thread in the help forum and upload a zip of the xcf file (if possible)..

-Rob A>

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thanks RobA. I did as suggested, just gonna sit back and play the waiting game now I guess. =)

My first post and my first attempt using this tutorial, the mountain that was suggested and the tree one that was suggested. I used the map that was used in this tutorial and didn't name any of the places yet.

Thank you, RobA, for putting together such an awesome tutorial!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firstattemptsmall.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	44181

Hey there Apothecaryrose. Looks pretty good. About the forests, the edges look a bit beveled. This was a fault with the initial Photo-Realistic Trees tutorial I wrote. However I've made some revisions to it, and if you read a bit further in the thread where I posted that tutorial I discuss some ways for blending the forests into the surrounding terrain.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks! I will go check out your blending tips. That was one of the things that I wanted to fiddle but hadn't figured out a way yet to get it to blend better. I loved you tutorial as well. It was very easy to follow for some one new to gimp!

Page 57 of 66 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast