Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Hey Rob!
    I have been working through your tutorial in GIMP, and have a question. When I get to Bump mapping the grass, using the Bump Map filter on the 50% grey does nothing, no matter how I tweak the settings. How can I get it to work? Thanks in advance!

I'm currently stuck on the beginning of the fourth post... I have four layers (Image, Land, Noise, and White). Noise is set to Overlay and White is set to Lighten Only. However, when I decrease the output in levels when the White layer is selected, nothing happens. Anyone have an idea as to what could be wrong?

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Delvestius View Post
    I'm currently stuck on the beginning of the fourth post... I have four layers (Image, Land, Noise, and White). Noise is set to Overlay and White is set to Lighten Only. However, when I decrease the output in levels when the White layer is selected, nothing happens. Anyone have an idea as to what could be wrong?
    Are your lower layers set to be visible (eye icon in layer tool). If you toggle off the visibility of the white layer you should see something.

I can't read 60 pages... I am sorry if it has already been asked.

I have a world map with 2 main continents I am working on. I intend them to be different colors! The main continent is green/brown, while the secondary one is pink. Is there an easier way to do the second continent than selecting it to it's own layer and handling it separately?

Guild Novice

Post Getting the coastline look "right"

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Post 3: Then Let's Begin (if I have an idea)

Now that the environment is set up, it is time to begin. At this point you may have a rough sketch of a map, either drawn on paper or on the computer. Here is the rough sketch I will work with for this tutorial:
    Attachment 1424

I was doodling a coast-line with a crater like shape, and decided to put places around it line the numbers of a clock. This will be my starting point for The Region of Closh

Load this image into GIMP, and scale it to the page size you want. I’ll keep this one smaller (500x500) to make the tutorial more manageable, but it can be as large as you want. Ensure that the image is RGB, and the size you want. You may have to adjust some of the techniques (scaling, bump mapping amounts, etc) depending on the size and scale of your map.

Now create a new transparent layer (Layer->New Layer) and name it “Land”, pick a big, solid brush in black and trace out the contours using the Pencil Tool, then fill the area you want land in black, and everything else white.
    GIMP TIP! – You can drag a colour from the palette or the color selector to an image and it will fill the current selection with that colour.
    Attachment 1425

Now invert the layer (Color->Invert) and blur the image (Filters->Bur->Gaussian Blur) The amount of blur will determine how random the final coast will be. The larger the blur, the more random the coastline will be (in the blurry area). If you have a well defined coast already (like here) use a smaller blur (50px). If you have a poorly defined coast (as is the case when using a random coast technique) make it a large blur.
    Attachment 1426

I went back and blurred a few areas more by hand on the main coast to get more randomness there but keeping the detail in the island ring. Note the histogram. What you want is a nice level image, with dark and light more evenly spread out, as opposed to a U shape.
    Attachment 1427

Create new layer called “Land Noise” and fill it with clouds (Filter->Render->Clouds->Solid Noise) Set the detail to the maximum (15) and the X and Y size to the max (16.0). The larger the size, the more randomness your final coast will have. Give it a new random seed and jot down the number (I put it in the layer name afterwards as a reminder). And change the blend mode to Overlay.
    Attachment 1428
    I realise this an 'old' tutorial and the world has moved on to GIMP 2.8 - but to a newbie 'old' is 'new'. Very good and simple tutorial on how to create a "realistic" coastline! Thanks

Guild Novice

Are there differences between the new GIMP 2.8 version and the older version used in the tutorial? And can I change the language settings of GIMP? I downloaded GIMP in Dutch, but as this is an English tutorial, that might be a little problem.

By the way, splendid tutorial. I am going to try it after my examinations.

I can't get past the Invert.
    It's a transparent layer, so if I mark out my land in black, then inverting just turns the entire thing white.

When I have this problem, I simply add another layer below the one I want to invert, in the opposite colour, and merge them down. Then I can invert and do a colour to alpha to make it transparent again.

Not the most efficient way, but at least one that works.
    Last edited by Freodin; 07-13-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Jekanl; 07-17-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Post 3: Then Let's Begin (if I have an idea)

Create new layer called “Land Noise” and fill it with clouds (Filter->Render->Clouds->Solid Noise) Set the detail to the maximum (15) and the X and Y size to the max (16.0). The larger the size, the more randomness your final coast will have. Give it a new random seed and jot down the number (I put it in the layer name afterwards as a reminder). And change the blend mode to Overlay.
    Attachment 1428
    I have followed your tutorial, step by step but I fail to make the same thing like you describe.

The new layer "land noise" covering everything on the map, and the map disappear.

Help me to understand. It is maybe the cause of the age of this tutorial, or gimp has changed since 2007 ?

Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast