Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Well here's my try at it. My first or second time with GIMP. I know I screwed up on the mountains somewhere, but I've done that part 3 times and I can't look at it without glaring Same with the forests. I got really lazy at the text part, especially the title.

My big question is adding the rivers, you might notice some blue squigglys randomly placed behind a mountain, because I guess I added to the wrong layer. Could not find the one you mentioned. Paths-do they just take time to get used to? They seemed so strange to use...

The tutorial is great though, I think I'm going to try it again and hopefully get closer.

Also, like my gross font color/outline
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	easttry.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	2868  
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Airith,
    I think that it is a fantastic start considering it was only your first or second time using Gimp. That just shows the power of the tutorials that we are lucky enough to have here at the Guild. Nice job.

Good first effort Airith!

One of MY problems is that I tended to skip steps when writing this all down And I tend to "futz" with the image as I am working on it, adjusting levels redoing various things (lots of ctrl-Z )

So if there are specific steps you want clarified, please ask!

And yes, paths do take a while to get used to in GIMP. I personally find them very unintuitive, which is why I now do any extensive path work in Inkscape. GIMP will import the Inkscape SVG file as a path (or paths) without any problem.

-Rob A>

Honestly, I'd prefer a few more screen shots that show exactly what you should be doing.

Also you should double check the descriptions for creating layers.

Create new layer called “Land Noise” and fill it with clouds (Filter->Render->Clouds->Solid Noise) Set the detail to the maximum (15) and the X and Y size to the max (16.0).
    I wasn't sure on many of them if it was transparent, white or whatever. Some you did specify, which helped.

There were quite a few steps that I had to guess on or use some trial and error. Next run through, I'll make sure to take notes on what I felt wasn't clear or would like to see a screen shot for.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll read through it again to add those clarification. Generally though, if I didn't mention an option, it doesn't matter Seriously. In the case you provided, if you are filling the layer with rendered cloud it doesn't matter if the layer starts a any particular colour or is transparent. Bu t I can see how by NOT stating, it could be confusing.

-Rob A>

RobA, this tutorial should be made an official GIMP tutorial. I learnt more of using GIMP than I ever done in the past year of using GIMP. Thanx for showing us the more interesting features of GIMP and how to use them together to produce stunning results.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    It's about time RobA quit slacking and made another one!
    Hear hear!

This tutorial is the flagship of the Guild, netting more hits than any other thread, I believe (and definitely more than any other tutorial). It's well written, complete, and amazingly helpful.

Rob, you are hereby commanded to get to work!

(PS: a video tutorial would be even better, I say!)
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast