Thread: Tarvall's Land (an experiment with fountain pen and watercolor)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tarvall's Land (an experiment with fountain pen and watercolor)

So I've been mocking up this circa-17th century fantasy world for a campaign I want to run in the indefinite future. The players will be on a mission to explore, map and investigate a rocky, windy continent to the far north, which as far as the Thurian (= latitude-flipped European) nations know is poor and uninhabited. Basically, it's Chilean Patagonia - an empty, forested land, beaten by wind, populated with strange almost-familiar plants and animals. There is one colony in the region, and it's underfunded and old, a fifty-year-old outpost of an aging imperial power, founded in the unfulfilled hope of finding mineral riches. There have only been a couple naval expeditions to the further shores of the continent. The players are working off of a copy of the maps made by those first explorers.

I'm trying to make that map myself by hand. I started with a pencil sketch of the area. This is the "master sketch" that includes all the information about the continent, not just the features visible from the sea; it's for my use as I plan the campaign.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tarvall0.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	722.8 KB 
ID:	27824

Then I attempted to make a rendition entirely using watercolors. That didn't work out too well...

Name:	tarvall1.jpg 
Views:	962 
Size:	787.4 KB 
ID:	27826

So I went and bought a fountain pen, some ink, and a set of nibs, and made a hybrid watercolor-and-ink map. I'm almost done with it, just need to put in the legend and compass rose, and maybe one of those dudes blowing wind and a boat or something.

Name:	tarvall2.jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	786.4 KB 
ID:	27825

I'm not too satisfied with the way some of it turned out - the pen was being fussy especially for the mountains, and I don't like the choice I made for some of the lettering, so I'm probably going to make a fourth final version. But it's no problem, I've been having a great time with this.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by Turnpikelad; 08-07-2010 at 05:52 AM.