Thread: A Proper Introduction

Post A Proper Introduction

‘ello! Long time lurker; first time poster!

As a Referee/Dungeon Master for many years, I have found the hardest resource to find for gaming to be good maps and floor plans. Back in the old days before the internet existed (might be hard for the youngsters to remember or even comprehend such technologically deficient existence) referees would draw maps by hand on graph paper. Or if you were lucky, you might find a history or architecture book at the local library with a decent map you could photocopy at 10 cents per copy! (Yes, I said 10 cents – back when people could actually buy things for a dime – that tells you how old I am.) But I digress… Anyway, I made the switch over to digital mapping as one must always move forward – right now I am trying to learn Gimp as several of the members have recommended it highly. As such, I would like to share some of my floor plans and maps. Not sure if anyone can or will use them, but I wanted to contribute.

A few things to note:

1. Except for my lack of talent, time, & software, I think I make nice maps.
    2. Form does follow function.
    3. Modern buildings do have bathrooms.
    4. I do not make “pretty” maps (see 1 above). And I call them “pretty” only because I am horribly jealous of the talented artists who generously share their work here. That is my version of a compliment.
    5. If you use, modify, or enhance any of my maps, I would love to hear from you and/or see the results!
    6. Any thoughts, ideas, or feedback is always appreciated.
    7. And all the standard disclaimers and copyrights apply – no commercial use without rewarding me handsomely, blah, blah, blah…

Cheers and good gaming!

Tim
    Last edited by sayosen; 08-07-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Damn poor spelling!

I assume you mean "without" rewarding you handsomely I'm looking forward to seeing some of your maps. As one of the older ones I remember those days before the Internet and being the one who had to draw up everything myself. I think there is something to say for growing up playing with a cardboard box compared with everything being handed to you pre-made. It gives wings to your imagination because you had to see in your mind in order to have fun with it. I would guess that a lot of the folks hereabouts are of similar cardboard box childhoods.

Oh, and welcome to the guild 'de-lurker'

PS. That's not to say one can't enjoy those pre-made things from time to time but there is nothing like your own creations.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks Jax - I tend to obsess over details in my floor plans to the point that my spelling suffers! Fixed it! And agreed about creating something yourself. There is nothing like the feeling of looking at your finished map and that sense that you have created something! Posted some of my maps - have a ton more to go. Have only begun working with Gimp so most remain uncolored. Also - if the members have any thoughts on which file formats work better (I tend to favor .bmp for clean lines but it makes for larger files) and the preferred actual sizes of maps (the majority of mine will print on standard letter size paper), please let me know.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome to our happy little home...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome aboard!
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

Thanks - I am just glad I found such a place. I am truly in impressed by the talent I see here. While I realize my floorplans are more utilitarian than artistic, I hope someone can use them!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome... and I think you'll be amazed at the age of a lot of the people in here, we're not all in our 20s.. or 30s..
    concerning format I personally discourage .bmp - as you say it takes up space and you'll have to use some sort of graphic app to see them. I always use .jpg (for show and tell) - it makes for small files (at medium quality) which are easy to load and which shows directly in the browser. Of course I always keep the original photoshop/illustrator file on my harddisk for later editing and high quality printing. If you have really fine lines in a big picture and want to keep'm don't compress the jpg, then it won't damage the file (at least visibly - just don't save again and again on the same file). If you have something where people need to zoom in on details a .pdf can also work as a format
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise