Thread: Mouse Realm of Arden

Guild Applicant

Default Mouse Realm of Arden

A few weeks ago, I ran a Mouse Guard game set in Forest Arden of Roger Zelazny's Amber. Here's the map I made for that game. I printed the map out on 4 sheets of paper for a finished final size of 17" by 22", and the map was scaled for that size (I suspect text will be difficult to read if printed out on a single 8.5x11 sheet).

The map was constructed with CC3 and the Fantasy Realms style pack from the Annual. The primary font is Hobbiton Brushhand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mouse Realm of Arden.JPG 
Views:	1343 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	27875

I like it...both the map and the concept. Always wanted to try Mouse Guard as it sounds interesting. I've also always wanted to try Bunnies and Burrows (I know they're nothing alike). You posting session recaps anywhere? Be interesting in seeing how a game plays out.

Also, have some rep for posting your first map (and a good one at that!)
    M

Guild Applicant

Thanks for the kind words. No recaps, I'm afraid -- it was a one-shot, my first time at running Mouse Guard, and very much a learning session. Still quite fun, though.

This is great, LeeShort. From what I've seen it really fits with the Mouse Guard theme and feel. I've looked through the Mouse Guard book and, while interesting, I don't think the style and focus of play fits my needs as a gamer. I could be wrong, I only browsed through the book once. I do think that your map here would look just fine in a Mouse Guard supplement. I do have to ask, though, why Amber? I wouldn't have thought that the two would fit well together.

Guild Applicant

What I got out of Amber is this: all my players know Amber quite well, and it provided a wider context that was well-known. When a threat came from The Black Road, there was no need for me to explain stuff about the setting and why this all was happening...they just knew, in an instant. Julian and the Rangers weren't really actors in the story, but filled in the setting very nicely and eventually were pulled in as the big guns (that really was the quest...to get some evidence and then use it to convince the big folk to do something about the threat).

That's most of the rationale, but there's a little more. Set in Arden, it makes sense that the mice are not just normal mice.

Certainly Mouse Guard isn't for every player. It's definitely more of a story game than a classical rpg -- but it really fits somewhere in the middle, not at either extreme. That was one of the issues we had in play -- a couple of the players wanted to stay firmly in character as in a tradtional rpg, rather than step outside of character from time to time (which is how the game works best).

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Praise Nedra

Hi, cool idea.
    I have a forest as vast as Arden in my ADRPG campaign named Nedra.
    Oberon set it as defense to Arden after rewriting the Pattern IMC, anything magical or supernatural that wants to get into Arden has to pass through Nedra, and Deirdre's Cat Knights protect the realm.
    They are were cats of a sort, panthers, lions, tigers & more.

I also have a Mouse guard that runs the tunnels and spreads information within the magical woods.