Thread: Yet Another Newbie

Info Yet Another Newbie

Hi all,

I just stumbled across this forum the other day whilst looking for mapping resources. Glad to be here!

Like I suppose most are here, I'm a long-time amateur map-maker and general fan of cartography. I've had an evolving world-building project that's fed RPGs and fiction-writing ever since I was a kid. From the beginning until relatively recently I drew and redrew my maps by hand. A few years back, I had a go at doing maps in Photoshop, but never really got on with it, fnding myself spending too much time with too little result.

But I really want to get my mapping into the digital realm, so I recently decided to see what I could find. (This forum, for instance! ) I'm an OS X user, so no CC3 and suchlike for me .... But I think vector-mapping is the route I want to go; I've not got a lot of experience drawing with vector tools, but used to do some amateur Postscript font creation in Fontographer, so the concepts aren't wholly alien. I've downloaded a copy of Inkscape to see how I get on with it, but haven't really tried anything serious ... yet!

Anyway, nice to meet you all!

Howdy!

-Rob A>

Welcome, Carlaz. Make sure to post coments, questions, and (most importantly) your cartographical efforts! Glad to have you here!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Welcome, carlaz!

Quote Originally Posted by carlaz View Post
    I'm an OS X user, so no CC3 and suchlike for me .... But I think vector-mapping is the route I want to go;
    CC3 is a wonderful program for vector mapping. With software like BootCamp or Parallels to run Windows on a Mac, CC3 is now a possibility, but an expensive one if you don't need to use Windows otherwise.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Welcome to the group. There are many folks here to help out whatever route you do choose to go.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by jaerdaph View Post
    CC3 is a wonderful program for vector mapping. With software like BootCamp or Parallels to run Windows on a Mac, CC3 is now a possibility, but an expensive one if you don't need to use Windows otherwise.
    Yes, I've long admired the CC family -- and envied its restriction to Windows! But, yes, I don't have much call for Windows otherwise, so that's probably not a path I'll go down right away.

Post Welcome

Carlaz - Welcome!

I've only been here a few weeks myself, and I have found time and again that this is one of the coolest online communities that I have ever been a part of or heard of. If cartography is your thing, and it sounds like it is, you've definitely come to the right place.

As others have said, please post some of your cartographical efforts. Whatever they may be. If you spend some time here, you'll come across numerous hand-drawn efforts, so don't be shy. And don't think that something is "not good enough"; there is NO such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    As others have said, please post some of your cartographical efforts. Whatever they may be. If you spend some time here, you'll come across numerous hand-drawn efforts, so don't be shy. And don't think that something is "not good enough"; there is NO such thing.
    Amen to that, and have some rep, brother!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]