Thread: Building/Structure mapping in Photoshop.

Default Building/Structure mapping in Photoshop.

So as it stands my only current mapping software I have is Photoshop CS4. And it's been great for my current regional map. However I'm not sure where I would start when it comes ot structure building and making floor plans1. Not sure where to start, once I know that I'm set. I think what I'm not sure on the most it getting the "grid" right.
    Una Salus Victius.

Castles,

Hi there! I have done a lot of structure mapping on PS, if you want to take a look at the maps I have in the WIP structure folder. They may not be perfect, but they could be a place to start--I'm always happy to share my techniques.

As far as tips go:

Open a file in PS and make it 1x1 inch with a transparent background (at 300 DPI if that is what you will be working in) then select all, edit>stroke 1 px. Then edit>define pattern. Then you can just use the "pattern fill" paint bucket tool, and blammo--you have a 1 inch grid you can work with.

Genetica Viewer and Wood Workshop are great tools for whipping up quick tileable textures, such as wood grain, floorboards, etc. I am pretty rubbish when it comes to actually drawing, but you would be amazed what you can do with good textures and layer effects.

I find the layer effect 'outter glow' is better than 'drop shadow,' in general, for making things pop. Plus, if you are doing rotatable tiles, you don't need to worry about shadows going in wonky directions.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!

I find the square marquee selection tool to be very useful. Set it to "add" mode (or hold down shift while using it), and you can simply make selections in the shape of your rooms and corridors. Change to subtract mode occasionally to put walls back in as necessary. Once you've laid out the plan in the selection, save it to a new channel (select > save selection…) You can then find a black-and-white shape in your channels palette. After that, there are several ways you can use the selection. Load it up and stroke it, or use it to make a layer mask and apply layer effects, fill it with a pattern. There are probably a dozen other things you can do.

Take a look in the Tutorials forum for a user named Duvik. My advice is adapted from his Photoshop dungeons tutorial.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name