Thread: Building a Church

Guild Novice

Map Building a Church

Here it is, my first ever attempt to make a map in GIMP! It's a church meant to be a battleground for an online game I hope to run.

First Floor
    Upstairs

I appreciate any and all comments. Particularly to do with technique, as I'm basically winging it after following a few online tutorials. I hope you enjoy it!
    Last edited by ZeroPoint; 08-11-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think it looks pretty good so far...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Thank you! Is there anything that looks off, or could use a quick touch-up? I am particularly worried that the maps look bland, that my skill at applying shadows might need a little work, and that colors/elements might clash with each other. I've been working on it for a while now and am afraid that my eye glosses over problems which might be apparent to a first time viewer.

Here some content help.

Staircase cannot be butted against a wall you need to have space to get on or off the stairs. The only staircase that well placed on your map is the one in the upper right corner because it has a 90 degree turn in the middle.

You may want to add some pews for the congregations to sit down.
    "The map is not the territory. The man is not the file."
    -Kevin Usher

Guild Novice

Thanks, and now that you mention it it's really obvious. I don't know what I was thinking there with the steps.

As to the pews, I put the big carpets there so that worshippers can sit on the floor, which is how this religion works. The real reason I did that was to open up the space so that combat can be unrestricted in it, but the in-universe reason is that people just sit on the cushy carpets instead of seats.

I'll correct the stairs and update the pics shortly! Thank you!

Guild Novice

Ok, I made a quick change to the staircases to make them look better, and uploaded the images without grid lines this time for kicks. I realized too late that my background in the upstairs image still has grids, oops. Hopefully it isn't too distracting.

First Floor
    Second Floor

I'm kind of curious how the building would look outside, and I'm also curious in what time or technology-level this plays, since the Church looks kind of modern, so I'll assume it is a modern setting. Otherwise the unsupported width of the roof seems VERY large.

It does look a bit empty, and you may want to start to play a bit with light and shadow to make the map a bit more interesting if you want to keep it empty. Absence of furniture is bound to lead to emptyness...