Thread: Is there a map making software that fits what I'm looking for?

Question Is there a map making software that fits what I'm looking for?

I'm a DM who's looking for a good software tool to help me make Battle maps. The way I do things is I make A map here then I save the map and put it on my phone with this then I use it when I DM with a party offline, however It's not a flexible system and it can sometimes crash if I'm not careful. What I'm looking for is a program that allows me to do the following.

-Insert home made tiles and other kinds of props.
    -Has the ability to toggle between multiple layers of a dungeon quickly in case I decide to add a balcony or something along that line.
    -Be used as both a virtual table top and an editor.
    -Allows the use of curved tiles.

Other then that, here's a list of features I'd like but don't necessarily need.

-A hex grid variation.
    -A map that can extend to about 5000 squares, crazy yes, but I prefer to use battle maps even if the RPG doesn't intend to work that way.
    -Free and online.
    -A 3 Dimensional map.

I don't mind if I have to carry around a laptop or something if I can put it on my phone and Price is negligible right now.

Again, if you can find a system that fits these specifications, I would be very grateful. If not, well is there anything else you can recommend for me to use?

Other than curved tiles and 3 dimensional, I'm almost positive the tabletop software on roll20.net can do all of that. I've done a lot of searching for free map editors and I haven't come up with anything that'll do 3 dimensional, so unless you want to put some money in, you -might- be asking for too much there. I might be wrong and am welcome to corrections(since I'm looking for a 3d map too). It's also where I run my campaigns now, since it's so convenient and actually searches for maps on this website to drag and drop into the VT.

Dundjinni is a good all around program for making maps.

Roll20 is a gaming platform and not really a map generator. You input your battle maps and can populate them with assets but you don't really make maps in it. It has 3 layers, a GM layer, a Token layer where you decide who can manipulate what tokens, and the map layer. The major issue with their system is limited space. You have a very limited amount of upload space. They have a library with generic things you can use to populate your maps but every token, map and image you upload will quickly fill up your space. It is a very good basic system but has some major limitations. You will have to pay for a monthly/yearly subscription as their free system is very limited.
    Roll20 limits what you can share. You cannot even transfer all of your things from different campaigns that you create unless you pay for premium membership.
    http://www.fantasygrounds.com/

Those that like Roll 20 seem to be the type that likes to reinvent the wheel. You will literally spend 100's of hours to get a campaign working the way you want it in roll20

Fantasy grounds is another very good online platform. It has a one time licensing fee rather than a monthly subscription like roll20. The other benefit to fantasy grounds is that it actually encourages sharing resources between GM's. Their interface is a little cartoonish and their D&D characters sheets and such are extremely heavy. I like to have a very open surface but since they have every rule and system in place it is crowded. You can click on an item and it is automatically entered on your sheet. I believe they are the only platform with a full license agreement with wizards of the coast. It is costly for the full license and all of the D&D books.

Beyond Tabletop looks promising also.
    Last edited by zeichen; 04-17-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Blog Entries

I think you should check out Roll20.net. It doesn't fit ALL of your specifications, but it fits MOST of them. It is a great VTT (I personally consider it the best that is out there right now, but that's one guy's opinion) and the community is AWESOME.