Thread: I just found this site :)

Default I just found this site :)

Hello everybody,

I just found this site on the search for some templates to help me and my friend design a board design for a board game we're inventing. From the looks of this page it seems as if you guys are a community that likes making maps and terrains and stuff like that, so I'm really happy I found this site! I've never done anything similar though, and I'm still not sure this site is what I think it is, but sofar it's looking good.
    Me and my friend are trying make a mixed terrain for a pretty big board game (mountains, grasslands, snow, forests, dungeons, swamps etc.). Maybe someone with a little more experience than the two of us (who have none at all) can point us in the right direction

cheers

Well, you're in the right place! Is your game going to have a static board, or will it be tile-based? Hexes, squares, no divisions? How much territory are you planning for the board to cover: a few miles, a country, a continent?

Do you have any idea what kind of software you're going to be using to create your board? If not, I recommend you take a look through the Featured Maps section and see if there's something there that you like the look of. Usually the author will have mentioned what tools were used, and you can often find tutorials for the more popular styles. This is among the friendliest communities on the Internet, so don't hesitate to ask questions! You're bound to get some high-quality advice.

And, of course, the requisite "Welcome aboard!"
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

If you have a certain style in mind, do post it and we can tell you the best tools to use to replicate it. Check out the boardgame section to see maps made by other boardgamers and welcome to the Guild!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks for the warm welcome

Well we are planning to make the actual board really big, so it feels like there's a lot of places to go. But from the bird-perspective it will still be a pretty close-up zoom, so that you can see builduings etc.

This picture is pretty much the same perspective we're going to be creating the map. We're trying out Campaign Cartographer to see if it will suit our needs. It looks pretty promising.

If you want to make a map that looks a bit like that I would recommend Profantasy's Campaign Cartographer 3. It comes with loads of symbols - mountains, trees etc which are in bird-perspective.
    best
    Ravi.

Welcome aboard!

It looks very much like what you can get using CC3 so I would second Ravells' comment.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yeah, and CC3 can easily expand to other styles as well.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks, yeah I actually found CC3 before you mentioned it and it looks pretty useful. I didn't know if it was any good though, but since you all recommend it, it must be good enough

Once I get the hang of the program, and once my project advances, I'll make a new topic and post some pics.

thanks again