Thread: Cities of Vallinar from Rhune

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default Cities of Vallinar from Rhune

This was created to detail a specific region of the world of Rhune: Dawn of Twilight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CitiesOfVallinorWieb.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	389.2 KB 
ID:	27975

The challenge was that it had to include a lot more information for the area than the wold map - so the illustrative style wouldn't be as appropriate. So instead I focused more on the detailed linework to get all the information on the map, and then used very light colour washes. I think it came out quite nicely - still depicting the same area, but providing a very marked difference in style. I'd be interested to hear what people thin. Should it have more grungy wear on it? Should it have folds and tears to make it explicitly a parchment map? I'm not sure either way.

This is a commissioned map so it is rights reserved.

Just saw this over at DeviantART, very nicely done. Repped and rated good sir.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Excellent stuff! The map got a very nice clean look and I really like it (got a little of a "Schley feel " to it, nice). As for grunge, I personally love grunge (cant have enough grunge but you may want to keep it clean as it's looking great (or maybe post a grungy parchment version for us to compare). Some minor remarks: I think the ruins/town symbols are a bit out of place (maybe make them smaller or use house/tower icons or something?). Also the landmass is a little flat colorwise, maybe ease a little on the light color wash, or use a little more different colors to give it a little more variance (but also some grunge may do that job). anyway... still a great map... just my thoughts. cheers!

Nice map! I love the mountains and the compass is pretty unique!
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks guys - that's very kind.

@Djekspek Yep, you're right - those are a little crisp and clean for a hand drawn map. Hmm, illustrated icons would probably have been a better bet. I'll take a shot at that when I do the next one in the series - and retro-fit this map. It's in pdfs at the moment so not too difficult to edit.

As for the colurs - I think I'll keep this light. This is one huge plain - so actually there's very little variation in the land. In some of the other areas there's a lot of variation - I'll take a shot at a bit more colour in those. Good idea on trying out a grunged version If I ever have a spare moment I'll go in and take a shot at that.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice job as always Torstan. Has a Mike Schley/Forgotten Realms vibe to it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Great map! It is Schley-ish but I really like your "razorback" mountains, which isn't something he does I think. Love the subdued color scheme. The line of ruined fortresses makes me want to know the story behind the map.
    M