Thread: New Map - New Program

Guild Apprentice

Wip New Map - New Program

Greetings all!

I've been away from mapping for a long while, and so yesterday I set myself a challenge: learn how to use fractal terrains, and then use it and photoshop to create a world-sized map, all in 24 hours. It's been a fun day, though the learning curve on FT was rough, and I really need to invest in a tablet...

At any rate, I present to you, my fellow guild members, for your critique and enjoyment, my untitled work in progress!

P.S. Again, thank you, to everyone who's posted a tutorial, or a link, or an insightful comment. I could not be developing as a cartographer without the huge help I get from the guild.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lailah's World WIP.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	27985  

I like the layout, but I find it strange that most of the rivers don't go far inland, if you know what I mean.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post
    I like the layout, but I find it strange that most of the rivers don't go far inland, if you know what I mean.
    I do know what you mean, and it's something I went back and forth on. The concept I settled on was that the rivers are only drawn as far as the major tributaries... all the minor streams that are higher in elevation are too small to see. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I do know what you mean, and it's something I went back and forth on. The concept I settled on was that the rivers are only drawn as far as the major tributaries... all the minor streams that are higher in elevation are too small to see. Does that make sense?
    That makes perfect sense to me, since I've done the exact same thing (only showing major rivers) on the map to a book I'm writing =)
    I did so as to avoid "cluttering" the map too much.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/