Thread: Daz Studio Help

Default Daz Studio Help

Can anyone give me some info and advice on Daz Studio? I've just discovered that this thing exists and the blurb tells me it's like poser (which frightened me off with its complexity) but you don't have to create models from scratch, just pose them. Which sounds much closer to my league...

I'm not planning to do any snappy aniations with it, or fancy lighting projects, I just want to use it to make my own simple top-down character tokens for mapping.

The down side is I have a dinosaur of a computer - 2GHz, 512 RAM, Win2K. Now although it has an accelerated graphics card that handles Viewingdale ok, I'm thinking that maybe the latest version of Daz Studio probably won't run on my machine, and will have loads of daunting clutter that I'll never use.

If someone could tell me whether Daz Studio will do what I want it to do, which version would be most suited for my purpose and machine, and could advise me on whether older versions are actually available (I haven't found any yet) I'd be much obliged.

Thanks.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It is indeed similar to Poser and it should do what you're looking to do.
    I'm not sure how well the latest version will run on your PC (I'm running an older version).

There are plenty of free models, etc. available as well.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I dont use Daz but most 3D apps are all alike. Its just figuring out what means the same thing in the particular UI. So what kind of models are you looking for and what have you got so far. Also, what kinds of model formats can it import to use ? I have a few links to models but theres not so much good free stuff out there as their ought to be.

Thanks for the replies, guys.
    I'll delve into it a little deeper. Maybe I ought to email the company. I was leaving that as a last resort and looking for reviews and old download sites instead, cos companies usually want to push their latest product and can't be bothered dealing with a guy asking questions about and begging copies of older versions.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Basically, DAZ is a simplified version of Poser. A lot less options, less complexity, but you can still import most of the files you could use for Poser. Since there is a lot of free stuff for Poser out there, you can use it in DAZ. It is capable of stills and animation, and imports into certain other packages pretty well. I combined it with Vue in the past, and got some nice results, even though I'm not a 3D guru (you can find these examples in my Renderosity gallery).

So if Poser scared you, trying DAZ might be worth the effort. It's free (or at least it used to be) so no reason not to download it and play around a bit to see if you like it.