View Poll Results: What do you think of Lightox?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it! It is a great way to view images

1 5.00%
  • Get rid of it! I'd prever seeing the full image

16 80.00%
  • I don't care.

3 15.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use of Lightbox?

Default Use of Lightbox?

We were having a debate in the CL forum on the use of lightbox to display the images when you click on the thumbnails.

Currently, the javascript lightbox will darken the BG and open a window that fits on the screen of the image.

Alternately, it could just open in a new window (I think).

What si the community opinion?

-Rob A>

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

I actually always scoot right past the lightbox onto the full image. At least with the latest IE, it seems to take forever to view images in the lightbox.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

I prefer to see the image on a new tab, no Java for me. This way its easier to see the whole picture and to zoom in for details.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

I'm not a fan of it, personally, and usually open in a new tab to begin with. Maybe if it had controls for zooming and such it'd be better...but usually I want to be able to open a map at full-res and pan around to see the details.
    M

I use lightbox on my own site, but I've been thinking about getting rid of there too. It makes for a nice, professional look and once in a lightbox you can scroll through all the images on the page. But like everyone else here, I usually just open the image in a new tab so I can see the details. Plus, I suspect some readers don't realize they can get a better resolution by opening in a new tab, so when they see a large image in a lightbox they just think it's a poor resolution and move on.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Blog Entries

I always right click and open an image in a new window. If I do happen to left-click by mistake I always click on it again straight away so it goes past that doofer. Not that it doesn't look good, I'm just used to using new windows so I don't accidentally close the wrong thing.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Yeah, agreed with others when I click a thumbnail and the lightbox is loading I click the light box to see the full image. To me the thumbnail is good to judge whether I want closer view and if I do, I want the full scale, not something in between.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I let it load but if it hesitates I just click it again for the full view - unless I was already hesitant to look at it, in which case I blow it off and move on to something else.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

This seems to be mirroring the thoughts with the CL's. I don't like it personally and would rather go back to just new tab with image in it.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I'm with ramah on this one, I always rightclick/open in new tab.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast