Thread: Noobie need help

Default Noobie need help

Hey everyone Total Noobie when it comes to making map. I been trying a bunch of different mapping software. and feel very lost or unsure what to do with everyone I open. I would like to make some very detailed maps to be used with d20pro Virtual Table top software. I Bought Dunjinni because it seemed like the easiest to use. but i was having problems with making Roof and walls and dunjinni forums are down and have been for some time. So i can't get any help there.

I am also trying to remake some Old TSR Map to use in the d20 pro. Is there away to input a scan of the map into any of the program and then stamp the Texture and tiles i want over the section i want and place Object ect.. Or would i have to use GIMP to edit the existing image. If i have to use Gimp how do i import Texture to it to stamp. I figure out how to edit the brush to make a stamp. just don't know how to do the rest. =)

Thanks for any help.

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

If you are looking to import a scan or something into a program like GIMP, I would suggest looking at Giddie's Handdrawn Map Tutorial in which he starts it off by using an already created map, if that's the style you are going for anyways. It's pretty impressive and he uses some shortcuts to make the process go a little faster. If that's not the style you want, there is a whole tutorial section and even an How Do I? forum where you can ask questions as to how certain effects are achieved.

You are stepping in to a fantasic community and I am sure you'll have no trouble finding someone to answer your software specific problems. (I forgot to mention that there's a forum section for that as well)

Welcome to the Guild, Sir.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

not really what i am looking for I am looking to do something more like take this map title test map.png and update it from that plan look to like the one in Town Battle.jpg. I start to do so with dunjinni but had problems with it roof not layering on top of walls. I am not going to to get into the extreme detail that the town battle one is but. color and decent detail i think i can do. just need help. =)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test map.png 
Views:	199 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	28116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town Battle.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	28114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dunjinni.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	699.1 KB 
ID:	28115

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

I have no experience with Dunjinni and I didn't realize you were already posting in the software section, else I wouldn't have mentioned it above. Have you tried to do the roof without the wall (if it'll even let you do that)?
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Yeah was looking for some help with some one that maybe use Dunjinni before? since there forums are down and have been from what i have seen at least a week. I was also looking to see if there is some other software some one could suggest to maybe use instead. Something that is easy to use. I tried demo of CC3 and was very intimidated by it. I think i could use gimp to get what i want. but i am not sure how to add texture to the program or if that is even possible to do that. If i can add texture and just stamp away i am good. I can clean it up later. i just want to get the basics done. I going to try messing with the town again later and doing Roof with out wall. working on 3 level dungeon that is 156 square wide 204 in length each dungeon level. Dunjinni only does a 31Wx39xH squares. just figure out my break down 42 separate dunjinni maps. then i have to use paint or another program to piece them all together. Not very efficient.

So if some one knows of a program that will let you put in Custom Squares and is easy to use that would be great. any suggest would be most helpful.

I think that you might want to learn about layers in GIMP (or any other graphic software, it's the basic for operating), For what I understand you want to geet a grass texture among others and blend it with the plant map in black and white, if it is true, you have to add the texture layer before you place the plant, and paste the plant on the top layer, I dont know if GIMP has any blending mod for the layers, on Photoshop you just have to place the layer above the texture layer and set the blending mode to one that satisfy your style.

In other way, I dont recomend you to use those map making software, at least for me they're no good because you have limited resources in eiditing your map even if they have'nt a steep learning curve, probably it wil get the same time for you to learn to do the same thing (if not better things) on a real graphic software.

for maps this style I use some resources I found in another forum dedicated to make some online tabletop RPG maps, they have a lot of overtop objects, all you have to do is to clip it from the file and copy over your map, real simple.

Edit: You might as well learn about pattern stamp tool they will help you with the roads, lakes and anything you might want to draw that is not grass.
    Last edited by betomuraro; 08-18-2010 at 10:12 AM.