Thread: My First WIP: Tuls

Guild Novice

Wip My First WIP: Tuls

Hey everyone,

I've mentioned my first city map would be posted soon, but I've been extremely busy with my traveling. Nonetheless, I've managed to scrap together a few minutes here and there to work on this project. I would appreciate any and all feedback to help me along. Here's a brief description of what I'm working toward so you can better assess the flavor of the city:

One of seven floating islands that punctuate the Empire Above, Tuls is known for its arts, entertainment, and singles culture. Colloquially referred to as “The Isle of Passion,” this city will provide for any taste, even from the hedonistic to the ascetic.

To a truesighted eye, Tuls appears as a work in progress, with crudely-carved, choppy buildings, a few of which are labored on by taciturn antmen. To most of its inhabitants, however, Tuls is a paradise—every stone appears to have been laboriously carved, every building matches the nearby architecture while still contributing something unique.

All this is made possible by master illusionist Brindon Maodi, an obsessive architect who plays with the city as a child might play with building blocks. His most permanent whims are set in stone by a magically compelled army of antmen, who appear under his illusions to be simple if antisocial construction crews. Fellow archmages consider Brindon something of a madman; after forty years of effort, his domain still looks like a rough draft.

Though always engaged in subtle changes, Brindon does not drastically restructure his floating city overnight. Main thoroughfares are sacrosanct, and landmarks are never removed without feigning some sort of disaster or construction project. For the most part, the city is highly functional, and its citizens are so perpetually entertained that few stop to question their hometown’s mercurial architecture.

This map represents Tuls at the time of players' arrival. When the project is complete, it will be complemented by a storyteller’s overlay to demonstrate the city’s true form. The major design goal is to make the city look like the wild dreams of its maker, with sweeping, ambitious architectures and a sense of constant, bustling activity.

I know I need to do a few minor changes already, but I would value the community's expertise since I'm only a gamer dabbling in some software (speaking of which I'm using CD3).

Changes to come:
    -Reconstruction of Warrens (they were the first part I ever built)
    -Reconstruction of Docks (however that is the area they will be in)
    -Tweaking of royal district streets along edge of walls
    -Addition of Illusionist Brindon Maodi's tower on left of Island
    -Addition of a theatre district in the north part of the island
    -Addition of art district on north of river
    -Addition of Temple of the Winds to the Southeast cliffs of the island
    -Reviewing texture choices especially on waters/beach
    -Adding depth and texture to background layer to better reflect a floating island

Thank you,

Icestorm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuls (island).png 
Views:	557 
Size:	415.5 KB 
ID:	28033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuls (redlight).png 
Views:	144 
Size:	613.3 KB 
ID:	28032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuls (warrens).png 
Views:	127 
Size:	494.3 KB 
ID:	28034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuls.PNG 
Views:	207 
Size:	630.5 KB 
ID:	28035  

Very nice, i've got to use this program, everyone seems to drawing some very nice cities with it, yours included.

Looking forward to seeing more

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking pretty good so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I finally got out of my cave and got a checking account at a bank, when I decide to ever spend some money it's going to be on CD3 so I can take a crack at cities with it. Too many folks poppin out good stuff with it lately and this is another example. Nice job, mate.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Started dabbling around again between CC3 and GIMP. My focus recently has been on larger, regional maps, but I decided to polish off this WIP for a game a few months ago using a style out of the 2013 Cartographer's Annual.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuls Remapped.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	63326