Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] A medieval town map tutorial in Photoshop

I haven't had a chance to look through it too thoroughly, in a hurry here, but would that also work with GIMP?
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

I'm not a gimp user, Airith, so I can't speak directly to this--although some of our GIMPgurus (namely, RobA) have adapted successfully the procedures from PS, so it must be possible.

I would suggest you give it a shot & whenever you get stuck, post either in this thread or start a new one and ask for help. I can all but garuntee you'll get it!

Good luck, and sorry I'm not more help!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I've worked through it with GIMP. Somewhere I have scribbled noted on the differences from PS at certain steps. The biggest was in the use of layer effects (GIMP doesn't have them).

Like Don stated, plug through it and if you get stuck, post a question.

-Rob A>

Guild Member

Hello there,

Id really like to use the city desinger software but I keep getting this error message:-

“Component tabctl32.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid”

Im using a Windows Vista Home Edition on a 2.33ghz dual core process. Anyone know how i can fix this ?

Regards

Roger

Guild Member

No sorry i wasnt very clear - i meant the city designing software used for this tutorial "RPG City Map Generator".

Regards

Roger

Ah...it may not be vista compatible (I use XP, so I don't know). Is there a contact address on the website? Might be worth shooting an email to the developer.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Ah...it may not be vista compatible (I use XP, so I don't know). Is there a contact address on the website? Might be worth shooting an email to the developer.
    Actually it does work in Vista, just bought a new PC and tried it for myself. You may need to run it in an XP Compatible window.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Nice tutorial. Like your result!

I couldn't download the program - well I could, but I get

" The compressed (Zipped ) Folder is invalid or corrupted " then when I try to unzip, it'll tell me it's an empty zip file.

I've sent an email to them (which you can find on this page ) I'm happy to wait. can't compain with these cool freewares!

Looking forward to having a go!

<edit> It's fine now. Installed ok no problems - bit weird that. Anyway I got an email back from Christian with in minutes of my query. I just shutdown Explorer and opened it again. then tried again. If anyone else had similar problems here's his response.

"I just checked, but it worked without problems. Maybe it helps if you clear your cache/temporary internet files etc., and try again? Probably an error occured during download, and when you try the download again, your PC just takes the corrupted file from you local cache."
    Last edited by jezelf; 07-22-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Guild Adept

Sadly, it appears that the host website for the Roleplaying City Map Generator is down. I will have to rummage through the home system to see if I can find it later.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast