Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] A medieval town map tutorial in Photoshop

Post Buildings issues

ok So used this tut with gimp. Biggest problem I am having is the buildings, I cant get them to seem right. The WIP is listed here

So for those that have some experience with this tut and Gimp please help me out. You can see the steps to my product through the WIP.

Also if you want you can post the suggestions either here or in the wip
    Last edited by shantedracule; 11-16-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: stuff

To be tru to the tutorial, you need to bevel the buildings. You can do that with either the gimp layer effects plugin (two different variants are available - one in scheme/script-fu and the other in python, assuming you have python installed), my chisel script, or the manual way (1) make a selection of the buildings - hopefully just alpha to selection, assuming the buildings are all on their own layer 2) Create a new layer and fill the selection with a shapeburst (angular) gradient 3) emboss that layer at an altitude of 30 degrees 4) set the layer mode to overlay --- instant "roofs")

-Rob A>

Guild Novice

just made a couple attempt with the TuT , NICE WORK really , after the 3rd i made it almost right ;P still i am not close to your terrain quality hehe , i might just need some practice or maybe a couple tips on how to make the terrain and mountain looks perfect ;0)

The Roleplaying City Map Generator application referenced above seems to no longer be available at the given URL. I was able to find a clean, working, and free copy of it at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=xz9panj2. I scanned my copy and found nothing, but won't guarantee anything beyond that.

great tut but I gots problems with the mountain/hills....the texture comes out way too bold and the dark lines on top of the hill for downhill accents are so apparent it's horrid....so I tuned the settings on the texture and it's just not the way yours looks. I realize it will take time to practice to get it right....but i'm waaaaaaay off base here. I can get the lines to sorta look okay. but if you could provide any more detailed help on just the hills I'd be very thankful!

I've attached a jpg of the problem i'm experiencing.....lack of knowledge i'm sure of it

again, great informative tutorial.....i'm just missing something
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outter Sanas copy.jpg 
Views:	797 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	27220  

Yeah, never mind. Got it all figured out!

Dear pyrandon i try make this but what you do after step 5 :

for this:

The houses and roads ok, but how looking soo good the second image?

A new lighter layer, or some light source?

Hi aggreszzor...Pyrandon hasn't been around the guild for a few years now (but we keep his glass full and his seat warm). I'm afraid you're not likely to get a reply from him. Looking at the question you asked, I think you probably need to apply a bevel/emboss to the houses to get the roof shading.

Hi ravells!

I join becouse this map when i found here.

When i said houses and roads ok i wanted to say i can do them. But i cant make this nice "3d, heightmapped" landscape.

Here my pathetic attempt:

I must make Pyrandon style landscape or...

If Pyrandon make a youtube video from this tutorial i could learn all small detail. But if Pyrandon hasn't been here, i think it will never happen.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast