Thread: How did he can realized this water effect?

Default How did he can realized this water effect?

Hello,

I'm drawing a map about ancient Mediterranean Sea for a boardgame. Wandering in the net I have find this map :
    and I appreciate the water effect that the author give at his picture. How did he does that? Any suggestion? I use Gimp to realize my maps.

Thanks.

I'd guess at a simple blurred and slightly distorted gradient around the land. On top of that seems to be some grunge noise.

Banned User

Hi Yon,

Search Google for some grunge textures. Then in GIMP, layer a few or several of them together using various blend modes, plus a color layer or two of the base colors you like. Keep mixing and playing with them until you find the look you want. That is how I did the sea color in this -- http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...chmentid=68924 -- for example

Blog Entries

most of this is the "old paper" effect

there is a tutorial on this site
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ng-gimp-3.html
    youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A7yopQ_nCE

the rest looks like a mix of air-brushing and adding a pseudo "bump map" effect that looks hand painted
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Ok guys, thank you for the hints.

I attempt to obtain the water effect but I don't succeed to do it.
    Ok for the "old paper effect" but is the nuance between the land and the water that i cannot manage correctly. I can't merge blend levels because if I do that I lost the effect, so I can't shade off the land into the water. For the bump map effect that I want to apply over the land the problem is the same (can't merge level or I lost the effect).

I attach a little picture that I do at the moment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map01.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	657.2 KB 
ID:	69203  

I think it's looking good, what you did there. Maybe a little less aqua and a bit more blue is what I would do, but otherwise I think you have a solid deep sea, shore and land transition there.
    A map must contain the following four elements: Title, Author, Scale and Orientation. It should also contain these two elements: Date and Legend. Without these, it's just a piece of paper with something on it.

reduce the opacity by 20% and a little tweak with the colors and I think it is spot on. You did a great job.

as for the bump map, as long as it is in a mask layer it should come through. Worst case scenario, you could add some hatch lines by hand.