Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Art related, not map related dA

Link Art related, not map related dA

Some of you have heard me talk about my artwork being rooted in drawing animals. I am gradually learning my way around deviant art and have finally gotten around to scanning in one of my pieces. I had fun splicing it together, stupid scanner doesn't really allow me to get a pad that big in there....

Anyway, here is a Bluebird that I did long time back. Thanks for checking it out, hopefully I'll get around to posting a lot more stuff in the future. I'm sort of bitten by the map bug and trying to master that right now though.

Thanks for looking
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Dang, dude, that's nice. You're a far better illustrator than I'll ever hope to be.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thank you for the compliment Ascension. I have a pastel I did more recently of a lighthouse. I will probably get that up at some point although I think I'm still better at animals. I think there is something to my being able to feel the texture of the paper, the scratching of the pencil or chalk that just feels good to me (I've heard some artists call it "soul", I don't know though). I am finding map making to be rather different. And the digital aspects are something I'm still trying to adapt to. Hopefully, one day all my gears will come together and I will feel at home in both. One thing I have noticed doing things digitally is that I can screw around forever making little tweaks to coloring and so on. When I use a pencil or a pastel chalk it's down and done for the most part. Oh, sure, you can change a few things but you can only rework something so much before you wreck it. Not so in the digital media. I can drive myself nuts there. LOL.

And I still look at your maps and hope that I might be able to get to a skill level like that. All the details you put into them are just amazing.

Oh well, back to the drawing board, practice makes perfect, or at least better than you were yesterday.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I know what ya mean about the tactile sensation of pencil on paper...tablets just aren't the same. Something about the smell (wood carbon rubber paper) and sounds (scratching and brushing rubber bits, etc) also get me going. I guess that only leaves taste but I never got much from that part
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Lol, tried a little of that while attempting watercolor.....wasn't so great. That's the one part of using a tablet I do have some concern over but it's still got to be better than all the drawing with my mouse.

wow! amazing drawing Jax!

edit: my sword-of-rep wont work yet for you
    Last edited by Djekspek; 08-15-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks Dj.

I just posted a lighthouse I did in pastels if anyone is interested in seeing that.

Thanks Ravells, I might have to start making some more though. Most I have given away or don't care for anymore.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Good stuff - they're really lovely. Definitely interesting to see what people are doing with traditional media.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast