Thread: darrenkitlor's Abeir-Toril Map - Forgotten Realms

Threaded View

Wip darrenkitlor's Toril Map - Forgotten Realms

The Forgotten Realms - Toril
    by darrenkitlor

UPDATED: 25 July 2011 -- New Map; Higher-Res Landscape, Coloring

Introduction
    Hello everyone! I'm a long-time lurker but I wanted to share a massive map I'm working on.

Project Summary
    It's a 16000x9000 pixel map of Toril (the world upon which the Forgotten Realms exist). I'm a huge D&D buff - so I wanted to get the entirety of the game world looking nice for a wall-mount poster.

Right now, I've got most of the landmass, rivers, and beachhead figured out for all of Toril. I just need to hunker down and bring 60% up to 100% (and also remove artifacts that cause irregular shorelines)

That's the hard part. It's a fine line and I don't want to post many textured screens till I get it just right.

Design Log
    • 15 August 2010 - Project Started; got basic outline completed, utilized blending options for shoreline, rough beaches, etc.
    • 16 August 2010 - Height Map is temporary until I have all the rivers updated and other continents added (note: coloring and sea texturing is still on the docket).
    • 20 August 2010 - Huge coloring and height map breakthrough. Finally found something I like in a tutorial but made some parts my own.
    • 25 August 2010 - Texture methods are more or less finalized. I still need to fine tune the landscape before approaching it. Also, have maps of virtually every continent for authenticity's sake.
    • 25 July 2011 - Return to editing the map; updated coloring, biomes, improved texturing on oceans

Sample Screenshots
    notes: (waiting to complete rivers and remove artifacts before applying height map and final coloring)
    Latest Shot:
    1% Zoom of Toril - 25 July 2011 (1600x900)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TorilMap25Jul.jpg 
Views:	17982 
Size:	648.2 KB 
ID:	37332
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toril-5%.jpg 
Views:	1944 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	28065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TorilMap.jpg 
Views:	3353 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	28201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16%zoomTOril.jpg 
Views:	12980 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	28455  
    Last edited by darren_kitlor; 07-25-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Updated 25 July 2011