Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: darrenkitlor's Abeir-Toril Map - Forgotten Realms

Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Blog Entries

Could I get this fantastic full-size map version?

Blog Entries

editing the map, updated coloring, biomes, Improved texturing on ocean
    Your work is very good, I'd like to get a map in full resolution

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=darren_kitlor;124054]
    The Forgotten Realms - Toril
    by darrenkitlor

UPDATED: 25 July 2011 -- New Map; Higher-Res Landscape, Coloring

Introduction
    Hello everyone! I'm a long-time lurker but I wanted to share a massive map I'm working on.

Project Summary
    It's a 16000x9000 pixel map of Toril (the world upon which the Forgotten Realms exist). I'm a huge D&D buff - so I wanted to get the entirety of the game world looking nice for a wall-mount poster.

Right now, I've got most of the landmass, rivers, and beachhead figured out for all of Toril. I just need to hunker down and bring 60% up to 100% (and also remove artifacts that cause irregular shorelines)

That's the hard part. It's a fine line and I don't want to post many textured screens till I get it just right.

Design Log
    • 15 August 2010 - Project Started; got basic outline completed, utilized blending options for shoreline, rough beaches, etc.
    • 16 August 2010 - Height Map is temporary until I have all the rivers updated and other continents added (note: coloring and sea texturing is still on the docket).
    • 20 August 2010 - Huge coloring and height map breakthrough. Finally found something I like in a tutorial but made some parts my own.
    • 25 August 2010 - Texture methods are more or less finalized. I still need to fine tune the landscape before approaching it. Also, have maps of virtually every continent for authenticity's sake.
    • 25 July 2011 - Return to editing the map; updated coloring, biomes, improved texturing on oceans

Sample Screenshots
    notes: (waiting to complete rivers and remove artifacts before applying height map and final coloring)
    Latest Shot:
    [INDENT]1% Zoom of Toril - 25 July 2011 (1600x900)
    Attachment 37332[/INDENT

If I have a map at 100% size, I will put names in and send it to you

Blog Entries

A very nice map that surpasses all the maps I have seen

Hi I'm EXTREMELY new to this site and I happened to find this post. I'm curious as to how far you have gotten by now on The Forgotten Realms - Toril map? and did you upload it so it can be downloaded yet? My friends and I are playing D&D 3.5 in the Forgotten Realms area and your map IS the BEST I've seen so far.
    Last edited by TwistedFaith; 08-12-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Hi, I'm stunned by your great work and I'm currently searchign for a Toril worldmap for the creation of Toril for Minecraft.
    So far your map seems to be the absolutely best I've come across by far.
    I'd love to get the full scale map to see if I can actually use it for my project.

The problem i have with most other maps is thast they're not topographic.
    To clarify what I'm looking for:
    -A map with realistic colours for grasslands, mountains, rocks, water, ice/snow and desert
    -A map which depicts the height of a region by brightness/darkness (that directly fits the first map)

I hope you have success with your project and also i hope that you can give me a full scale picture.
    thanks.

edit: its the world of Baldur's Gate that i would like to have.

edit:
    have you considered using other existing maps to make your map?
    i was really impressed by those of http://markustay.deviantart.com/ but they're useless for my project.
    Last edited by Finrod Cuthalion; 08-26-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Hey Id love a copy of this map with names and cities and roads in place how are your work komming along ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xiliaster View Post
    Hey Id love a copy of this map with names and cities and roads in place how are your work komming along ?
    Hi you may well get the map
    but for unknown of cases can I upload on Cartographers' Guild - a community for maps of fantasy, sci-fi and real world locations are you on fb?

Beautiful maps, great detail.

Would also love a full size copy. Will print it up, frame it and mount it!!
    Last edited by Xandegar; 11-26-2013 at 04:46 AM.

Darren, if you're still working on this, send me an email. I'm working on something I think you'll be interested in. bcwhite@pobox.com

-- Brian

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast