Thread: The Land of Ubuntu

Map The Land of Ubuntu

This is a map of a land in which a short story-in-progress of mine is set. Its dominant lifeforms are reptiles such as dinosaurs, pterosaurs, giant snakes, and crocodilians, but primates such as lemurs, monkeys, apes, and humans are also present. The indigenous humans are at an Iron Age stage of technological development, with some being tribal and others having advanced empires, and both physically and culturally resemble our world's Africans. They have domesticated the Tenontosaurus and Caudipteryx for food and the Gallimimus as a riding animal.

Below is a guide to the land's various regions:

Setukh Desert: Although once a grassland thousands of years ago, the Setukh is now a barren wasteland of sand, dust, and rock. Few lifeforms reside in the desert itself, but olive-skinned merchants from the far north sometimes traverse it on camels to trade with the Ubuntuans.
    Ghali: This prosperous kingdom is famous for exporting gold and salt, but its citizens also place special importance on education and have constructed numerous universities. Analogous to the West African kingdoms of Ghana, Mali, and Songhay.
    Kushta: Another wealthy civilization, Kushta is also one of Ubuntu's oldest nations. Enormous limestone royal tombs and temples characterize this empire's architecture. Analogous to ancient Egypt and Nubia.
    Ugunbe: A relatively small chiefdom southwest of Kushta, Ugunbe has received some cultural influences from its larger and more advanced neighbor, but lacks any large cities. Roughly analogous to southern Sudan.
    Akansete: Coastal jungle kingdom whose citizens hold sacred a golden stool believed to contain the nation's soul. Analogous to the coastal West African states of Benin and Asanteman.
    Xongo Jungle: A thriving empire was once located in the heart of this rainforest, but it has since dissolved into squabbling tribes. These peoples are analogous to the Congolese and other Central Africans.
    Adiksum: Linguistically related to the Kushtans, the people of Adiksum follow a monotheistic religion and have grown wealthy from overseas commerce. They are famous for their towering stone stelae. Analogous to Ethiopia.
    Shobabwe: Another civilization that has benefited from trade with people from across the eastern sea, Shobabwe also boasts many cities with large stone fortresses. Analogous to the Swahili and Zimbabwean peoples of southeastern Africa.
    Xhulu: Pastoral tribes clash over this southern savanna region. Analogous to the Zulu and other southern Bantu cultures.
    Botsnamib Desert: Although ignored by most Ubuntuans, this scrubby desert does have an indigenous population of hunter-gatherers who are analogous to the Bushmen of southwestern Africa.

EDIT: Added a little lake in the region where the rivers going through Xongo and Xhulu combine, but you'll have to look closely to notice it.
    Last edited by trexmaster; 08-19-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

Looks good thus far...only thing I would is to maybe put a lake of decent size where the rivers meet between the Xongo Jungle and Xhulu. I also can dig the name of your land...I wish there was decent support for games, else I'd make the switch totally.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Nice to see an African-analog setting - with dinos! Looking forward to seeing it develop.
    M

As a matter of fact, I'm working on the second part of the short story right now, and almost have it finished.
    Last edited by trexmaster; 08-19-2010 at 02:15 AM.

Hey, just noticed you're in Monterey. I lived there for a while...and went to school at DLI before that. Nice place!
    M

Rivers look good - no violations of the laws of physics I can see. cjs0216's suggestion on a lake is good too if it fits into your world story.

Personally, I'd use a different font because of the general overuse of papyrus, but that is a personal choice.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Personally, I'd use a different font because of the general overuse of papyrus, but that is a personal choice.
    I picked Papyrus because of its African appearance, but I understand why it would be popular to the point of overuse among people making antique-looking maps.

Heh. I wondered if anyone was going to ding you on Papyrus. I like the font, and it's good for maps. Too bad the hometown flyer makers have access to it
    M

I was trying out mapmaking on Gimp using RobA's tutorial, and I'm considering doing a prettier version of this map.

Here's a prettier version of the map, with capital cities added. RobA's tutorial was referred to when making this, though I had trouble with the mountains.