Thread: My first map

Wip My first map

Hey Guys this is my first map ever created, and I was just looking to get some feedback! I was especially wondering if there is anything particularly good to fill space besides trees? Anyway, let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	myfirstmap.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	28138  
    Last edited by Zisasse; 08-18-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Bigger Image

Too small to really tell. Export a higher resolution version from Campaign Cartographer. Try going for something around the 3000 px wide range.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Oops, sorry about that! I added a bigger image above.

Looks nice for a first map, I'm not so sure about the ocean though. I would have blurred it or something...

You have some splitting rivers, one in the north (with one branch flowing into the lake), another in the northeast, and yet another on one of the southeastern islands. As has probably been pointed out many times on this forum, rivers do not split like that, except maybe at deltas.

Quote Originally Posted by Zisasse View Post
    I was especially wondering if there is anything particularly good to fill space besides trees?
    Don't get too eager to fill up your spaces. First of all, when you go to add labels you'll find that too much stuff filling up the map will make it difficult to decide where to put your text. Second, you can use the level of detail/texture to direct the viewer's eye to things that are important. If the entire map is filled with details, there's no way to tell what's important, and it's somewhat fatiguing. I find I spend more time on a map with less detail because it takes less energy to look at and comprehend it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Marken4 View Post
    Looks nice for a first map, I'm not so sure about the ocean though. I would have blurred it or something...
    CC3 has a feature called "Sheets" that allow you to apply effects to your maps, similar to PhotoShop filters. So, as Marken4 suggested, you could use the sheet effects to blur the ocean, coastlines and land background transitions, etc. If you bought the downloadable version of CC3, you should be able to login to your account and find a tutorial guide that will explain sheets and show you how to some basic effects like blurring the ocean.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review