Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Modern Office Floorplan

Wip A Modern Office Floorplan

While I would consider this a finished map for use in my game, I have listed it as a work in progress because I am still tinkering with coloring it GIMP. Any thoughts or ideas on how to make this better?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Office Building 04.jpg 
Views:	2085 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	28111  

this map reminds me Shinra Building on FF7. You might want to add some plain color to your map and work the shading. Since it is like a plant map, a plain color is better than realistic texture. If youre using only as a reference on RPG games, its ready to go since the players probably will not see this map, or even if they see it, they will not notice the lack of coloring.

For gaming purposes, I have always used plain floor plans like this for easy character placement and movement. But, upon seeing the work here, I am inspired to try new things and make better ones. So far, I am undwerwhelmed with my own efforts in Gimp, but I'm still learning.

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by sayosen View Post
    While I would consider this a finished map for use in my game, I have listed it as a work in progress because I am still tinkering with coloring it GIMP. Any thoughts or ideas on how to make this better?
    I don't think coloration is a problem, but I have to wonder: Are there no women working at your company, or do you make them go to another floor? I see no women's restrooms at all. Considering the vast number of elevators, there's got to be plenty of traffic through the area.

In a thoroughly modern society, all bathrooms would be unisex... or you could say I goofed up when I duplicated and rotated one half of the floor plan to make a finished floor. And the funny thing is the "forgotten bathroom" is one of my pet peeves about floorplans... along with doors and stairs that lead no where!

A discrimination litigation negation modification!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Office Building 04 - ver2.jpg 
Views:	935 
Size:	281.9 KB 
ID:	28140  

Guild Applicant

Very nice.
    As a cubicle worker myself, I especially like the escape route through the supply closets. My own building's architect could have earned major brownie points with this feature.

I was wondering if anyone might notice that!

Love it!

Just a couple comments, since you asked.

I'd think the doors to reception would be in line with the elevators (though it breaks the nice symmetry.

Also, I think doors should open all towards the stairs for fire exit reasons.

Plus there are no photocopiers or printers!

Here is a markup where I moved reception over and added photocopiers in the space as a double row of cubicles wouldn't fit. I also marked the doors I think should open the other way in red. Also, what are the areas with the private bathrooms I marked in red? I though executive offices, but they wouldn't be at the elevators.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	markup.jpg 
Views:	5594 
Size:	287.1 KB 
ID:	28172

-Rob A>

Rob A - Some great ideas and modifications! I like how you lined up the reception doors with the elevator hallways - it may break up the symmetry, but it has a nice flow. The original floor plan from which I drew inspiration had only one bank of six elevators serving this floor, while the other bank of elevators served high floors and inaccessible from this floor (which you often find in modern buildings). As this left a long empty hallway, I opted to add the additional bank of elevators. I love the pixel copy machines/printers you added - a very nice & functional touch! And you can probably tell this is an older floorplan as all the desks have bulky CRT monitors! And finally, the private office/bathrooms - in the scenario in which this floorplan was used, those were for security officers, but I guess you could always say they are very well-appointed janitor's closets!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast