Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Small side adventure map.

Default WIP: Small side adventure map.

Stories say that the farmer named Dimmer prospered in the valley until he disturbubed the stones of an ancient temple. Now something dark swells in the remshakle remains of the farmstead. Comments Please.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HauntedFarm.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	27951

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

The hills look a little weird because of the bevel? that you used. They'd be a good start if they were dunes. Maybe try blurring the blockyness out of them or something like that.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you're using Photoshop you can change the bevel profile from the diagonal line to something more rounded and that will clear up the hills looking like cut gems.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Oddly, I like the bevel. It's interesting looking.
    M

Thanks everyone. I'm using Xara not PS so the bevel is vector not raster. I kinda like the edge because it gives a sense of mass, but it is a little harsh. Overall I am trying to develop a technique in Xara for large hills close-up i.e, for small maps. I figure using form of light and shadow are the best bet. If anyone has a better angle then shaodowing, please chime in. The Bevel is being used to alter the luminosity of objects below which is why the trees in the upper right quadrant on one side of the hill are highlighted and brighter then trees on the plain and then are shadowed on the other.
    My ultimate goal is to work out a set of techniques for maps of different scales (village to universe) and different styles (realistic to archaic to playful) using Xara.

After creating a beveled hill in Xara, I always use a heavy dose of 'feather object' so the hill blends in with the background. Sometimes I convert the beveled hill to 'convert to editable shape', while I can't alter the bevel any longer, feathering works better, however it feathers both sides of the bevel so you'll need to be careful about revealing the layer beneath the hill between the bevel and the top of hill (I'll place a small extension of the hill top color to place beneath the hill to minimize that issue.) I usually apply such a heavy feather that the hill bevel is barely seen, more subtle and more realistic. Also consider giving your hill transparency level to blend in the background as well.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Default Thanks GP

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    After creating a beveled hill in Xara, I always use a heavy dose of 'feather object' so the hill blends in with the background. Sometimes I convert the beveled hill to 'convert to editable shape', while I can't alter the bevel any longer, feathering works better, however it feathers both sides of the bevel so you'll need to be careful about revealing the layer beneath the hill between the bevel and the top of hill (I'll place a small extension of the hill top color to place beneath the hill to minimize that issue.) I usually apply such a heavy feather that the hill bevel is barely seen, more subtle and more realistic. Also consider giving your hill transparency level to blend in the background as well.

GP
    I used dome of that, and I think I am getting closer to what I want. I used the bevel, convert to editable shape, guassian blur, and then the luminosity transparency to make a softer hill with shadow and highlight.
    I especially ike how it looks at the lower res when viewn from further out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hisha1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	27972  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Thothmoses; 08-11-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: wrong image files

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

Hills are looking better man
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Blog Entries

I actually really liked the hills on the first version, they had a very stylised, modern look to them. In fact, I really liked all the first image apart from the forests, which kinda looks like a texture just masked out with a feathered brush.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Agree with Ramah. Fix the forest and put on a hex overlay and it's an awesome wargame map.
    M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast