Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy World Map (Satellite View)

Wip Fantasy World Map (Satellite View)

Hello Everyone!

After being a casual lurker around these parts for quite a while, I finally decided to give map-making a go as it's something I've always wanted to learn properly.

So thanks for taking the time to take a quick look at my first attempt at a World Map! I decided to make it as it would be seen from a satellite in orbit over the planet, kind of like on Google Earth.

I've made some progress with it and have tried to use ideas of plate tectonics to produce somewhat believable landmasses, however I'm not sure exactly how my various different climates look at present and whether they appear feasible or even realistic. (Note that it is currently winter in the Southern Hemisphere.) I still need to work on the ocean a little too.

I'd love to hear what you think of the work so far and would really appreciate any pointers or constructive criticism that you may have...

Thanks Again

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Satellite Image UPLD.jpg 
Views:	4963 
Size:	842.1 KB 
ID:	28118

I'm really impressed! Need to have a closer look at it though to get you the answers you asked for. Can't do that now, just gorged a bunch of Italian food and feel like a barrel

But first impression: really good. Have some rep!
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

Are you cutting up high res photos of earth and pasting them on your map or is this a crazy realistic photoshop job? Not to sound pretentious or anything, just out of curiosity because I was thinking of trying it myself.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

It's a slow cut and paste job in Photoshop I'm afraid...

I should make the confession now that I am awful at drawing. So I decided to try a method which did not require so much artistic talent...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think it looks darn good so far, I applaud your patience in the cutting/pasting.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wow. I can't even imagine the patience it must take to do something like this. Have some rep. It's going to look great when done I think!
    M

Dude, this is freaking amazing. Your method seems to produce great results.

If the map is finished one day, it will definitely set new standards.

Some rep for you!

Quabbe

Yeah, I agree with all of the above...it does look great. And don't think that it doesn't require any talent...not everyone can make new land masses out of exsisting ones and have it not look like crap. Good job man...keep up the good work.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Wow! Thanks guys! I really never expected such a positive response. I'm glad you like the work so far. It'll certainly egg me on to keep working at it, as you can imagine I pay for my lack of artistic flair through the amount of time it takes to get it right.

I'm still interested to hear on what people's thoughts are of the 'climatic placements' I have made. I've made my choices based on a combination of comparison with Earth but I know that is based on the shape of the landmasses on Earth itself.

I'm certainly not an expert, but it seems to me that the the continent with a lot of desert wouldn't have moutains with such huge ice caps bordering it. As a rule of thumb, and I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I would, from bottom to top go something like Ice Cap (a whitish color), Tundra (ie siberia in russia-a greyish color), some, and I can't think of the name of the climate zone, light greenish areas, along and near the equator you'll have your lush green areas as well as your biggest deserts..actually scratch what I just said...This wikipedia page, on tundras...lol has a chart on the right hand side of terrestrial biomes in the order, i assume, going from a polar cap towards the equator. Hope this helps ya man.

Though I wouldn't worry about getting every little zone in it's proper place, I would just be worried about not having say a tundra right next to a tropical forrest...in other words don't make jumps that far in planning the climate zones.
    Last edited by cjs0216; 08-17-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: thought of something else to say

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast