Thread: Unnamed region

Default The Southern Kingdoms

Hi. This is one of my first maps I think, wanted to try something new and I'm certainly not finished yet, planning to make some more cliffs and maybe some hills.

Anyways, any ideas for anything more I can put in? And where I can place things like, a key, a compass-rose and the milesline-thing.

Oh! And any ideas for what I can call the region? I'm blank

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kart.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	28125  
    Last edited by Marken4; 08-18-2010 at 10:08 AM.

Those trees are simply gorgeous!! and the mountains are pretty darn good too!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only thing I might do is use some low opacity black as shading to imply low rolling hills (break up the flatness) but even without that this is really superb. For key placement, I'd shrink down the ocean text and put the key in the ocean on the right or left side. As for names, um maybe The Southern Coast, The Southern Kingdoms, City-States of Southern Something, or My Ugly Practice Map (kidding).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Beautiful map! Though I might suggest lightening things up a little, perhaps. It's quite dark as is. Those are some very nice mountains and trees. For the town symbols, I would go with a stronger color....right now they almost fade into the background color.

Wow. Thanks, folks! I really like the names too, Ascension, we'll see if I use them

So. Updates: I made some hills, as Ascension recommended.

Made it whole brighter and made the town symbols easier to see (Thanks, Soixante! )

I added a key in the Southern Ocean, but I'm not completely happy with it, any of you got any suggestions on how to make it better?

And of course the cliffs.

So... What do you guys think?

Name:	Kart2.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	28134  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks really good - I like the cliffs you've added. Not that I have any ideas on how to change it, but I think the only thing that sticks out (a little) are the rivers, all the other elements have a beautiful handdrawn quality and the rivers don't really follow the same style - maybe you could "overdo" them a little (like the trees) and add some white foam to them to make them look more drawn
    Have some rep for it though
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Okey.. Uhm... I ddon't really have a clue either on how to make the rivers more.. artistic? Well, I'm not sure if there is any change at all, but I added a little white to it. Anyway.. I also made a little more details around Toromo.

And with that.. I think I call the map done

Name:	Kart3.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	28162  

Blog Entries

Lovely looking map. Have some rep to keep you inspired.

By the way, I don't think the hills you added is what Ascension was meaning. He meant take a low opacity brush and go over your flat lands in places to suggest vague shadows so it suggests a slight rollingness to your plains. Pretty sure rollingness is not a word and therefore I claim it.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I think what Tilt was talking about is the "bevel" effect on the rivers. I'ts much more consistent with a computer generated map than something hand painted like the rest of the elements. For the hills, they are nice, but a bit to large when compared with the mountains. Also, I would suggest grouping smaller hills much higher on the map surrounding the mountains themselves. They don't need to totally overtake the mountains and domintate the surrounding land, but a few here and there(make them smaller than the ones you have and shrink/remove the existing ones) in bursts would make this very nice. Also, I would suggest a small bunch of them be in the greyish color of the mountains where they are close, while the ones away from the mountains use the base background green color.

Also, you might want to think about shrinking the river as it gets closer to the mountains. It's going to get wider near the sea/ocean not smaller(well, in "normal" physics anyway).
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Oh, one other thing I thought of. Since you have a mostly nice perspective thing going on, you might want to either consider applying a tiny bit of stretch to your city icons, or perhaps draw up your own ISO style icons for each city/town. Just a very minor think that might give it some extra pop.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials: