Thread: Work in progress - hexworld generator

Default Work in progress - hexworld generator

I've begun working on an icosahedral planetary random hex map generator. So far I have a simple prototype, showing only land and sea areas, but eventually I hope to use Thorfinn Tait's Mystara tiles and have realistic climate zones. The program actually outputs .SVG files, but these have been converted to .PNG for the web; hopefully in the end you'll be able to edit the maps in Inkscape or Illustrator.

Here's the same planet generated at a range of different hex scales:

My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice... the last map shows really cool contours - nice to the the changes from map to map. Looking forward to seing more types of tiles
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat idea...yet one more thing to keep an eye on
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Oh yeah, these take me back to making planets for Gurps. I hope to see and hear more of this.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Here are ten random results from my first mountain test. I think there's some good there, and some not-so-good. Without modeling plate tectonics we have no guarantee that mountains will always be realistic, so the question is: are they "good enough"? Does every world need to be a winner, or might typical usage involve generating a few worlds and seeing which one you like best? Program parameters could include how clumped-together the landmasses are, how frequent and how large the mountain ranges are, what the sea level is, and so on, so people would be able to tune the output.

My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They work fine in my opinion - but then again I have a casual look on world building - but I'm guessing, if you don't think it looks good, you just generate a new world
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

This looks great, Isomage. I'm not a nitpicker - if it looks reasonable, it'll do for me.
    I know nothing about programming, so apologies if this is a silly question, but is it possible to have the 'land/sea' and 'mountains' on different 'layers', so that you don't have to scrap a really good landmass layout just because its mountains look crappy? It would be good to retain a coastline layout and then keep generating mountains for it until you get a good fit.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

These can be wrapped to a globe can't they? I mean these types of maps not these ones specifically.

I'm with the guys too, if it's not what you want, just regen a new one. Do the settings take into consideration things like Gravity, atmosphere and all that kind of stuff?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Just some quick answers...

Gravity, atmosphere, etc.: I think my aim, initially, at least, will be to make Earth-like worlds and possibly also exaggerated sci-fi types of worlds based on climate zones like desert or snow or jungle planets.

Wrapping around a globe: These would be perfect for wrapping around an icosahedron, but the program could be tweaked to generate spherical data and probably a suitable 2D projection for that too.

Layers: Probably not; it'll just be one run, one planet.

Blog Entries

This is looking really great. No real comment other than to say keep doing what you're doing.

One of the things I love about this site is that people are willing to put the work in to create stuff like this to share with the community. Consider yourself repped and allow yourself to feel all warm and fuzzy.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt